Author Topic: back to basics... the good oil  (Read 4480 times)

Offline Resto-Rob

back to basics... the good oil
« on: 21 Oct 2012 at 07:33 »
Hi guys,

I have just moved from New Zealand to Germany and at rick of sounding like an complete amateur... i have no idea about what brand of oil or what grade of petrol to use in my C32 Bulldog? I know some grade are similar to back home but i would just like to know what everyone else uses :)  Also, do you guys use upper cylinder lube mixed in the fuel? back home in my AJS i used Morley's which seemed to do the trick :)
I have no manual for my bike so i assume the gearbox oil is the same as the engine?

I have not yet run this bike as i am not sure about the oil pump adjustment.
The oil pump adjuster is set to 1. Can anyone fill me in on how to adjust the oil pump correctly?

Thanks guys!

Offline Black Sheep

Re: back to basics... the good oil
« Reply #1 on: 02 Nov 2012 at 10:31 »
I user Morris's SAE 50 in the engine and Morris's self-levelling semi-fluid grease in the gearbox. I put a few mls of 2 stroke oil in the petrol too.
As for how much oil to go through the drip feed, I set it to use a plunger full about every 3 miles. It seems to work OK at that, even theough the handbook recommends a plunger full every 6 miles.

Offline Resto-Rob

« Reply #2 on: 03 Nov 2012 at 07:36 »
Thank for that Black Sheep. I havent heard of using a semi fluid grease in the gearbox but it makes sence!
The two preunit motorcycles i had prior to the ones i have now ran SAE 50 in the gearbox as well as the engine... That made things easy :)
Can i assume the the grease would be a good idea for my 1927 BSA as well? It will be a while before she is on the road but it would be good to know as i have no manuals for her.
Thanks again!

Offline Black Sheep

« Reply #3 on: 03 Nov 2012 at 22:33 »
The semi-fluid grease is good for older gearboxes which were specified to be grease-lubricated or which had no effective seals. On the Douglas I just filled it right up using a 50ml syringe and the surplus worked its way out past the mainshaft and lubricated the primary chain most effectively (and the silencer and the new drive after a run...).
Newer bikes like my 50's BSAs and Norton 99 used SAE 50 in the gearbox, though that is pretty much the same viscosity as EP 90 gear oil. I either use SAE 50 or classic EP90 depending which tin has most in at oil change time. Not very scientific, I know. The Norton gearbox has covered 220,000 miles on this regime, the only failure being a layshaft bearing which is a common problem on Norton gearboxes.
Best of luck with the Douglas - ours is great fun to ride - the other bikes are tending to gather dust!

Offline podge

« Reply #4 on: 04 Nov 2012 at 10:48 »
Hi Resto-Rob.

Like Black Sheep I have used self levelling grease for the past 5 years in my 1932 A32 Douglas - no problems. I also have a 1962 Norton Jubilee that should use SAE 50 in the gearbox. I replaced the oil seal on the main drive shaft but the SAE 50 leaked out - tried EP 90, still leaked a lot but less than with the SAE 50. For the past two years I have used " Groil ", a mixture of 60% Self levelling grease and 40% EP 90 with no detrimental effect - it does'nt leak now.

Regards

Paul