Author Topic: comet/areo 250.350  (Read 5708 times)

Offline ERIC BAYLISS

comet/areo 250.350
« on: 16 Jul 2012 at 14:22 »
 WHIL I AM STILL SEARCHING IN VAIN FOR TIMING CAMS AND GEARS I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT THE FEASIBILITY OF MAKING OR GETTING SOME MADE,BUT WHAT I NEED IS ALL OF THE DIMENTIONS,IVE GOT A GOOD PICTURE FROM A 2007 ARTICLE WHEN SIDE CAR WILLY ASKED ABOUT VALVE TIMING. HAS ANY ONE GOT A 250 OR 350 ENGINE IN PIECES THAT COULD TAKE THEM FOR ME.OR BETTER STILL LEND ME ONE FOR A VERY SHORT TIME SO THAT I COULD MAKE A WOODEN  OR RESIN PATERN.ONCE I HAVE GOT A PATERN I CAN PLAY WITH IT TO MY HEARTS CONTENT THANK YOU

Offline ERIC BAYLISS

Re: comet/areo 250.350
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jul 2012 at 20:28 »
 IF NO ONE WANTS TO TAKE ANY MEASERMENTS IN CASE THEY GET THEM WRONG,OR LEND ME ONE WOULD SOMEONE BE PREPARED TO TAKE A PAPER RUBING JUST SON THAT I CAN GET THE PROFILE CORRECT.

Offline graeme

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jul 2012 at 10:38 »
Eric,
Just a gentle suggestion that you STOP SHOUTING AT PEOPLE WHEN YOU REQUEST INFORMATION OR PARTS. ie, don't write in capitals, this is considered very poor etiquette on the computer. It is most offputting, and I think possibly accounts for why you are not getting any positive responses to your requests.

Offline JonathanJoy

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jul 2012 at 19:30 »
Hi,
 Eric not sure if this helps , I've been rebuilding my Aero for quite so time now, If I'm stuck for a part I them concentrate on anther part of the bike, I know eventually it will turn up. Its like a game of patience and Its makes it more rewarding in the end. ( sounds a bit like Zen !) 
ps I'm also a Scott owner and I DONT hoard parts

Offline ERIC BAYLISS

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jul 2012 at 20:25 »
  Hi Graeme, sorry about that. my mistake.

Offline ERIC BAYLISS

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jul 2012 at 20:32 »
Hi Jonathan Joy you must be like me then ive had Scotts since 1954,won the best modified last year, never horded any spares at all.not like some of the members I know.

Offline ERIC BAYLISS

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jul 2012 at 21:28 »
As no one seems to know what carb was on the 250, can any one tell me what carb and what size jets and needle was on the 350.thank you

Offline ERIC BAYLISS

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jul 2012 at 20:39 »
As I dont appear to be getting any answers to my questions does this meen that all 350s are compleat and in running order.and none in pieces undergoing restoation.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 26 Jul 2012 at 00:17 »
Eric,

I think what it means is that producing sketches with all the dimensions that you would require to properly replicate the numerous parts you need is more work than anyone is will to take on in one go. The request for paper rubbing to replicate the cam strikes me as impractical. Do you really think that is going to be accurate? There are other Aeros about, and sooner or later another engine is bound to turn up that would either be a more viable project to start with or a parts engine for the one you got.

But it does take time. If you want a project that moves along quicker, then you will want to look at something from Triumph, BSA, or Norton. There, folk are always buying and selling surplus parts and projects, due to the enormous production volume they enjoyed. With the smaller marques (and Douglas is not unique in this), the bulk of the projects and parts exchange hands through networking and word of mouth.

-Doug

Offline ERIC BAYLISS

« Reply #9 on: 26 Jul 2012 at 20:50 »
 Hi  Doug, I have actually got 2 engines with no timing cams and gears,I can make the gears from mag gears, its just getting the correct profile for the cam witch wont be to difficult to make.