Author Topic: EW350 front brake rod & springbox  (Read 4184 times)

Offline oily bloke

EW350 front brake rod & springbox
« on: 04 Dec 2011 at 10:24 »
Hi all,
My EW350 rebuild is coming on slowly but surely. I have question. I am making a new front brake rod and cable return spring box. Should they be plated or painted as I have seen both?
Thanks
Andy.

Offline Chris

• Master Member
Re: EW350 front brake rod & springbox
« Reply #1 on: 04 Dec 2011 at 13:12 »
Hi Andy
     I have never seen any signs of residual nickel plating on the spring box or brake rod and as a result have painted them both on all my Douglas restorations. Chris.

Offline oily bloke

« Reply #2 on: 04 Dec 2011 at 13:15 »
Thanks Chris

Offline roy

Re: EW350 front brake rod & spring box
« Reply #3 on: 04 Dec 2011 at 18:26 »
Hi Gents, with regards the two items mentioned, on my EW are both nickel plated, checking the plates in The Douglas Motorcycle by Jeff Clew and Douglas Range Part 2, both appear to be plated, also on a photograph of Eric Coopers EW the items are plated.

Regards, Roy.

Offline Chris

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 04 Dec 2011 at 18:57 »
Hi All
      Well that goes to show that one can never be certain about Douglas. I have never restored an EW but The Bantam, Endeavour, four different 2.3/4hp models did not have signs of nickel plating on the brake components. I have seen machines with almost everything nickel plated glowing like a Christmas tree and I am sure Douglas did not send out machines like that. It is what is sometimes called over restoring. Perhaps the Douglas illustrations were just publicity pictures or of show models and a few other machines have plated parts because the owners think it looks OK. Perhaps Douglas did plate spring boxes and brake rods on just the EW. I don't suppose that anyone now remembers them coming out of the factory so we may never know.  Chris.

Offline oily bloke

« Reply #5 on: 05 Dec 2011 at 09:06 »
OH Poo!!
Now what do I do?
I am getting the plating tank out this afternoon to plate the adjusters so I think I will plate them as well and if I think they are too 'bling' I will paint them over.
That sounds like a plan to me :D
Thanks again for your help and opinions.
Andy