Author Topic: Dad's latest project  (Read 4260 times)

Offline David Towe

Dad's latest project
« on: 23 May 2011 at 07:35 »
Hi everyone, I need some help please. My 80 year old Dad has come up with his latest project (has already restored a 1924 Dodge Buckboard and a 1928 Plymouth Ute), restoring a 1950 Douglas bike, (engine No. 10113/6 Frame No. 8938\s4b) and we need some help. He doesn't know anyting about them and we can't find how the on/off to the engine works ie. there is no ignituion key switch arrangement which is probably normal on a bike of this age but how is the main power controlled? Where can we get a workshop manual for this bike and spares as we realise we need them? It is a Bluebird 350 cc I thnk??
Sorry I seem so vague, it's only because I am when it comes to this sort of bike and need some help.
Thanks in advance,
David

Offline MRD

Re: Dad's latest project
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2011 at 08:24 »
Hi David
It looks like you may have two bikes as the number on the frame is a 1950 Mk4, possibly a Mk4 sport.
and the number on the engine  shows its a Dragonfly with the /6 but the number before seems a bit too long compared with the number range for the Dragonfly 1955 - 1957. Could the / 6 actually be /5 as it does fit in with the Mk5 of 1951.
Mk 4 & 5's had the same engines

https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/aa-files/html/identify-part3/postwar5.1.htm
Found elsewhere on this site might help with the number range (Scrol down the page near the bottom)
The Mk4 didn't have an ignition key where the Dragonfly did, It might be worth posting a picture of the machine so that the more knowledgeable members could help with wiring details
Regards     Martin

Offline Reg

« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2011 at 15:26 »
Hi David,

I am certain, as Martin says the engine number relates to a Mark 5 model and should read 10113/5. This engine  has been installed in the frame of an earlier model (8938/S4B) being a Mark 4 Sports. In fact I can confirm from original factory despatch records that both machines were sent from the factory here in Kingswood, Bristol to ARRO MOTOR CO of Australia (no town/city recorded) the Mark 5 on  15/2/1951 and the Mark 4 Sports on 5/9/1950 and both finished in the blue colour scheme. Machines in this particular series left the factory with matching frame and engine numbers. The name of the model you refer to being the Bluebird was used by Australians but actually relates to the name given to the paint finish as published in Australian sales literature. Literature relating to the Mark Series of Douglas motorcycles such as the handbook and an illustrated parts list can be obtained from John Withers of Western Australia (kulwantandjohn@bigpond.com.au ) I would also suggest in order to access spare parts and be put in touch with fellow owners in Australia you consider becoming a member of the London Douglas MCC Ltd where you can find joining details and download a membership application form by visiting www.douglasmotorycles.co.uk
All the best, Reg.

Online Daren W Australia

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2011 at 08:26 »
Hi found this on google about Arro Motors

Adelaide Advertising - Newspaper ArticleANOTHER 50 late model motor cycles, including 1940. 1939. 1938 Triumphs ...
trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/43482183?searchTerm... - Cached

Regards Daren
too many dougli not enough time!

Offline David Towe

« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2011 at 09:54 »
Thanks for the info, I have sent the info and membership request to LDMCC. It would appear that the engine No. is actually a 5 and not the 6 we thought it was.
Thanks again.
David