Author Topic: Prototype engine?  (Read 4736 times)

Offline ccew350

Prototype engine?
« on: 21 Apr 2011 at 20:01 »
Hi all, I was looking through a friends copy of a Douglas book by Mick Walker and found a reference to a 250cc horizontally opposed shaft drive engine. It was meant to be for a new motorcycle called a Golden Star.
Does anybody have any information, pictures or drawings of this engine and was a prototype built.
Being the proud owner of a 1935 250cc Comet, i have an affection for the little 250s and would like to research this engine.
Many thanks, Colin.
colin

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: Prototype engine?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Apr 2011 at 01:57 »
Colin,

The "Golden Star" was written up and illustrated in the 1932 Oct. 20th issue of The Motor Cycle, and the 1932 Oct. 19th issue of the Motor Cycling. It was claimed when examined at the factory, that the prototype had done 'extensive mileage'. While there is some discrepancy in the illustrations, both show the tappet chest on top of the cylinders, so there was more to it than just rotating the engine 90 degrees in the frame as was done shortly later with the Endeavour. It was proposed as a 1933 model, but as we now know 1933 was not a very good year for Douglas.

-Doug

Offline ccew350

« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2011 at 16:56 »
Many thanks Doug. As usual you are a mine of information and always willing to share your knowledge. This forum is without doubt the most helpful and Friend one i have ever come across.
If anybody has copies of these two magazines and wishes to sell or photo copy the articles i will of course reimburse them.
Any further information will be gratefully received.
Regards. Colin.
colin

Offline MRD

« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2011 at 18:37 »
Hi Colin
It might be worth contacting the Vintage Motorcycle Club Library. They have the facility of photo copying or scanning and have a comprehensive collection of The Motor Cycle and Motor Cycling. They will charge for this service but I'm sure it won't break the bank.
The contact details can be found here
 http://www.vmcc.net
Regards      Martin         

Offline ccew350

« Reply #4 on: 27 Apr 2011 at 08:51 »
Many thanks to Doug and Martin. You have both been a lot of help.
Regards, Colin.
colin