Author Topic: free kick  (Read 3952 times)

Offline tck

• old racer
free kick
« on: 22 Apr 2008 at 20:05 »
1948 T35 sometimes when I goto start it there is no connection the lever moves in the complete arc  silent and without any resistance. I can put it in gear rock it backwards a falwards and still free as a bird clutch in out no change  swing swing swing. :? Then as if by magic back it comes and I can kick happily away no slipping of teeth just a normall kick action and she starts .But tomorrow I may get a free kick again. what is it?

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: free kick
« Reply #1 on: 22 Apr 2008 at 20:42 »
Hi tck,
          This problem usually occurs when the spring behind the kickstart ratchet gets weak or broken. Normally, the spring preloads the worm sleeve so that the ratchet pinionturns and moves forward to engage with the bevel pinion - then the pinion and worm sleeve turn as a pair.(See plate 18 in the spare parts book). All these parts are on the shaft directly below the gearbox output shaft. Access can be gained by removing the final drive (remove the central bolt and the 6 - 1/4 bsf nuts behind the final drive sprocket). When reassembling, you will have to 'time' the kickstart gears to bring the kickstart lever into the correct position.
                               Regards,
                                           Eddie.