Author Topic: 1926 EW manual oil pump  (Read 754 times)

Offline MattF

1926 EW manual oil pump
« on: 21 Dec 2023 at 18:43 »
Hi..need some help with sorting the manual hand pump for my EW. The bike was bought disassembled and l am not sure l have the complete pump. I attach photos of what l found in a box. I also have a sketch of the complete pump which l also attach. I don’t appear to have a non return valve.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Assembly is almost complete.
Thanks

Photos combined and converted to linked files - Dave, 22Dec2023
« Last Edit: 21 Dec 2023 at 19:23 by Dave »

Offline EW-Ron

Re: 1926 EW manual oil pump
« Reply #1 on: 21 Dec 2023 at 23:21 »
What have you got in the way of the pump and fittings in the tank ?

Offline Hutch

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 21 Dec 2023 at 23:48 »
Hi MattF,

If I read your post correctly then you already have the non-return valve, or at least the housing for it. The fitting that screws into the bottom of the oil pump tube in the tank contains the one way valve (circled in red in the marked up version of your picture). The non-return, one way, or check valve is a small steel disc with a very light spring to hold it on its seat.

You can check to see if the return valve is in place without having to pull the fitting apart by possibly using a piece of wire or other means (you should not be able to see daylight through the fitting as the small disc will be in the way).

If you do need to access where the one way valve is (i.e. it is stuck / missing or damaged etc) then to you need to unscrew the brass "cap" from the body of the fitting. You don't necessarily have to take off the leather cup washer but it will make observing the ends of the threads easier (just undo the brass nut which holds the leather washer on and take the washer and leather cup washer off). I use a steel rule which fits the slot in cap snugly to undo the cap (I have used a screw driver in the past but have badly damaged the slot - so be careful as the brass can be soft or brittle) Some heat to the body of the fitting may help. The cap is usually quite a tight fit and care is required to remove it without damage).

(If the valve parts are in place and works ok, then I would probably not pull it apart unless necessary i.e. its full of debri etc and difficult to clean out - as there is some likelihood of damaging the cap trying to unscrew it. Then again yours may come apart easily! :-) )

Once apart you can inspect the valve parts that are there. The LDMCC used to have the discs and springs but not sure that is still the case and you would have to contact them. The parts are relatively easy to make if one had to.

There are quite a few posts on this subject on the forum and a quick search for "Oil Pump" should turn up a few. If you need any more info or pictures of what's inside the fitting or dimensions for making replacement parts for the one way valve, please let me know.

Cheers

Hutch
« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2023 at 02:15 by Hutch »

Offline MattF

« Reply #3 on: 22 Dec 2023 at 16:02 »
Hi EW Ron / Hutch
Thank you for the replies. I can see straight through the piece that goes under the tank that you have circled in red Hutch. In the box of bits l came across a small thin metal disc and a very fine spring. I thought these were spares for the non return valve that takes the oil into the front cylinder. Perhaps the same type of disc / spring serves both. I have taken a photo of disc / spring and will upload it. I have a complete sight glass on top of the tank.
It’s my first time with a vintage motorcycle and l am learning as l go along.
All help appreciated….thanks
Matt

Offline Hutch

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 27 Dec 2023 at 05:06 »
Matt,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you but xmas etc got in the way! :-).

Yes - if you can see right through the non-return valve body then there will not be a disc in there. Along with the spring there is also a valve seat. See the attached picture.

The disc is 7/16" diameter so the one in your picture is potentially the correct one. Not sure about the spring you have tho' as the ones I have are only a few turns and made from approx. 8.5 thou wire. They are quite light but I am not 100% sure they are original (tho' they did come out of Douglas non return valves). The longer spring you have might be a tight fit under the disc in the valve seat but that would be easy to test? Hopefully it will work ok as it is.

Maybe other forum members can confirm if the springs I have are correct or not, for the non-return valve? they seem to work ok tho'.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Hutch
« Last Edit: 27 Dec 2023 at 05:28 by Hutch »

Offline MattF

« Reply #5 on: 27 Dec 2023 at 10:32 »
Hi Hutch
Thanks for getting back to me with this information and the photo. I will take the unit apart and see have I got the valve seat. If I have I will put it all together and test it. Hopefully it will work okay.
All the best
Matt