Author Topic: Correct Carb for 1913 Douglas?  (Read 1735 times)

Offline George Kulisiewicz

Correct Carb for 1913 Douglas?
« on: 15 Dec 2023 at 03:12 »
Hello … I was wondering if anyone could help me determine if this Amal carb is correct on my 1913 Douglas? Most I have seen in pictures are brass and look different. Thank you in advance . George

Offline cardan

• Master Member
    • Leon's Vintage Motorcycle Page
Re: Correct Carb for 1913 Douglas?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2023 at 05:18 »
Hi George,

No, AMAL carbs were not in common use until 1930, and yours is later than that.

In 1913 Douglas used either their own "salt and pepper" carburettor, or an AMAC that was specially made for them featuring an exhaust-heated muff (see the carb on the left below). The AMAC is probably easier to find and a better carb to use, but the Douglas item is better looking and a nice talking point.

If it matters, there were several versions of the Douglas AMAC, roughly in the veteran era: 1913-14 had the large hexagon fitting under the mixing chamber, whereas for 1915-1919 the mixing chamber was a smooth, slim casting under the slides like the carb on the right.

Nice bike, by the way. Unusual to have the cone clutch.

Cheers

Leon

« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec 2023 at 12:22 »
Leon,
Thank you for the information… I guess I am on the hunt for the correct carb now as I would like the bike to be as original as possible… I appreciate the information! George

Offline graeme

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 17 Dec 2023 at 04:11 »
Hi Leon

Nothing wrong with the Douglas carburettor, they are very easy to tune. The problem would be in finding one, they are much rarer than the AMAC

Cheers, Graeme

Offline cardan

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec 2023 at 04:38 »
I'd prefer one to an AMAC, just because it's weird!

« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2023 at 19:38 »
I found a carburetor that I would like to purchase but because of my being a new Douglas owner I am not very familiar with what is correct or not… so before I purchase this carburetor I was hoping to get a few opinions as to whether this carb is a proper fit for a 1913 …

« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2023 at 19:39 »
More pics…

Offline cardan

• Master Member
« Reply #7 on: 18 Dec 2023 at 20:19 »
Well done. Looks good to me.

Just to be clear, Douglas used both AMAC and their own carbs on the 1913 models. When the models were announced in the Motor Cycle in November 1912, one of the illustrations (below) showed a sporting model with an AMAC carb. It's possible that your bike, with the cone clutch, would have had a Douglas carb, but the AMAC (as noted in the late 1913 article I posted above) was being made specially for Douglas and would not be out of place. I would be happy to use it if I had your bike.

There were several versions of this heated-jacket carb. I think (?) that the one you've found is the earlier one, with the cylindrical jacket and the thin flange. On later (?) models the entire oval body was heated, and the mounting studs went through the entire thickness of the body. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers

Leon

« Reply #8 on: 18 Dec 2023 at 20:27 »
Leon, thank you for the response… I also found this Douglas carburetor as well… It is missing one of the slides, and the float… not sure how hard it would be to find a flute that would work, and or a slide…

Offline cardan

• Master Member
« Reply #9 on: 18 Dec 2023 at 20:40 »
Hi George,

You don't mess around! That's lovely and appropriate too, so the decision is yours. If you're doing the bike with clutch and foot boards and elegant touring bars, the Douglas carb would be a lovely statement piece. Refined. Elegant. Very "veteran".

As Graeme says, they work fine too when they're in good order. So if you're up to getting the Douglas carb sorted, I'd go with it. (Easy for me to say!)

Good luck which-ever way you go.

Then on to handlebar controls! https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/index.php?topic=5151

Offline graeme

• Master Member
« Reply #10 on: 17 Jan 2024 at 05:35 »
Hi George

Both carburettors look great! It is your choice as to what to use, but if it was me I would go with the Douglas one because it is unique to the make. A slide would be very easy to make for someone with access to a lathe, and as far as a float goes, any float that fits into the chamber with a hollow for the needle to pass through could be made to work. Good luck!

Cheers, Graeme

« Reply #11 on: 17 Jan 2024 at 13:27 »
Graeme,
I did decide to go with the Douglas carb… I believe you guys are correct…such a unique carb specific to the Douglas… I am still awaiting it’s arrival… I will post some pictures of it on the bike when it arrives. I’m still hunting footboards and pedals along with other bits… if anyone has any parts to fit a 1913 please let me know. Thanks

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #12 on: 18 Jan 2024 at 09:02 »
George,
            You say in an earlier posting that the Douglas carb has one slide missing. The 2 slides are almost identical - the only difference is the 'choke' slide has the diameter slightly waisted (making it impossible to completely shut off the air supply). Swapping the slides makes it impossible to completely shut the throttle, so you won't get a good slow tickover. Another thing to bear in mind is that with the 'Douglas' carb fitted, the operation of the controls is reversed (pushing the throttle lever forward actually opens the throttle!).

Regards,
                Eddie.
P.S.  When I get chance to lay my hands on the LDMCC's 2¾ machine, I will measure the 'waisting' on the choke slide.

« Reply #13 on: 18 Jan 2024 at 13:34 »
Eddie,
Thank you! Great information… once I receive the carb I will see what all I’m dealing with… I appreciate any helpful information you have. Thanks again !