Author Topic: m.k. kick start slip.  (Read 1077 times)

Offline phil1

m.k. kick start slip.
« on: 23 Jun 2021 at 07:02 »
Hi Friends.
                 I would like to eliminate the occasional slip on my mk.v kick start without the inevitable expletive and bruised shin! I feel sure
     I'm not alone on this one, my immediate question is can this be sorted without the removal of the complete gearbox? I have some spare
     parts so hoping that swapping some parts around might just fix it. Thanks. Phil.

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: m.k. kick start slip.
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jun 2021 at 07:43 »
Phil,
        If you have the owner's handbook, look at the illustration on page 51. You will see the kickstart has a spring loaded bendix arrangement. The spring bears on the end of the worm sleeve and creates some drag. This drag makes the ratchet pinion ride up the worm sleeve and engage with the kickstart bevel. If that spring has become worn or weakened, the worm sleeve and ratchet pinion move as a pair and the pinion doesn't engage with the kickstart bevel - hence the slippage (and bruising!). A shim washer against the end of the spring may cure the problem, providing it doesn't make the spring coil bound - in which case the kickstart will be very stiff to operate.
     This job can be carried out working through the final drive aperture, but it is a bit fiddly getting all the bits back onto the shaft - especially as the kickstart gears have to be correctly 'timed' to achieve the correct 'rest' position for the kickstart lever. I find it best to use a dummy shaft inserted from the RH side, slide all the parts onto the dummy shaft, then insert the original shaft from the LH side - thus displacing the dummy shaft.
   Be careful when reassembling the bendix - it is all mounted on an inner sleeve that has a cutout to clear the locking pin that is screwed in from the bottom of the gearbox case - the inner sleeve has to locate over this pin in order to seat correctly inside the 'box. The shaft that carries the kickstart gear has a flat for the locating pin - this should be positioned at 6 o'clock so that the pin prevents the shaft from turning when the retaining nut is tightened.

Regards,
                  Eddie.

Offline phil1

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jun 2021 at 06:13 »
Hi Eddie
               Many thanks for your most informative response, am greatly relived that the gear box can stay in place, as the old Douglas is in fairly regular use, weather permitting, so will save that particular gear box job for the time being if I can.  Regards. Phil.

Offline phil1

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jul 2021 at 19:29 »
Hi Friends
                  Have dealt with my kick start slipping problem, without removal of the gearbox complete, unfortunately I had to shift the engine forward 1/2" to gain clearance for the drive unit to come out, not to bad, then out with ratchet and shaft replaced spring washer number 25772 for a 1/8" thickness to give a bit more pressure, thanks Eddie. So finished up dressing ratchet teeth back with Dremal and fine stone. All done, back together with no brass shims just paper gasket.  Hears hoping no more bruised shin.  Phil.