Author Topic: MK gearbox dexterity  (Read 1014 times)

Offline tck

• old racer
MK gearbox dexterity
« on: 18 Feb 2021 at 11:42 »
I have just repaired the  pins in the selector forks and I am about to refit the quadrant there must be a trick to getting the selector pins in the quadrant groves and the selector shaft in the inner bearing bush while compressing the selection plunger obviously I suppose I could disturb the end cover for the shafts and remove the selector pin and spring but all is well there and I am reluctant to do that. Is there a particular position of the quadrant ? should I take the selector fork spindle out and fit it after the quadrant? or is there a simple tool to hold the selector plunger out?

Offline tck

• old racer
Re: MK gearbox dexterity
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2021 at 09:48 »
Well in the interests of those interested I have managed the task! My take on the 'trick (after a lot of tries) is to insert the quadrant into the bush above the pegs and spring plunger with the quadrant in the highest position (nearest the box roof) then  align the pegs below to the slots above.  There is just enough room to get a long screwdriver to compress the plunger from underneath the quadrant from the lower edge then you can press down on the quadrant (hoping the pegs stay aligned) finally you should hear a satisfying click as it all snaps in place. It goes to say the box is on the bench on its side. I am not saying this is the best and there may be better methods but it worked for me.

Offline Neville Heath

Re: MK gearbox dexterity
« Reply #2 on: 07 Mar 2021 at 10:38 »
If you grind a bit off the shaft in line with the neutral notch and assemble in the neutral position it will all just fall in place.  See photo.
Neville