Author Topic: proper engine oil 1922 2 3/4 and starting procedure  (Read 1708 times)

Offline flugie

Hi folks,
I am currently in the process of recommissioning a 1922 2 3/4 hp. i would like to know what is the proper oil to be using in the tank. there is oil in it now, but it seems very thick and I would like to clean it out and start fresh. also I am not sure of the proper oil pump drip setting. any help would be appreciated. I am not completely familiar with proper running and starting procedures and I want to get it right !
thanks,
Greg

Offline midman

Re: proper engine oil 1922 2 3/4 and starting procedure
« Reply #1 on: 31 Dec 2018 at 16:36 »
Hi Greg,

I am by no means an expert since I only ran my 1924 a couple of times before tearing it down to do some valve work on it but this is what I did to start it.
Fuel on
Air valve just barely open
Throttle about 1/4 open
Slightly retard the timing
Tickle the carb
Mine has a clutch and Kickstarter so not much different then a more modern bike.
I’m not sure if it is correct but I have 30 weight oil in my tank.
One of the boys across the pond with a lot more experience will chime in I’m sure.
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Chuck

Offline flugie

Re: proper engine oil 1922 2 3/4 and starting procedure
« Reply #2 on: 31 Dec 2018 at 21:00 »
Thanks Chuck,
this bike has not been ridden in many years and i just want to freshen everything before i run it. I have a reprint of an owners manual, but it doesnt get into specifics.  i am now just looking into gearbox oil and the book says nothing of it.  I have all winter so it will keep me busy!
Greg