Author Topic: Photo of Frank and Edgar Meller and Frank Delandro 1914-15 Trial  (Read 4047 times)

Offline PeterShannon

This is a photo of the winning Douglas team of the 1914 - 15 Sydney to Melbourne Reliability Trial. The riders, in no particular order are Frank Meller, Edgar Meller and Frank Delandro.

I am guessing that the two brothers are the two on the left.

In the other thread on Frank and his Douglas mention was made of the finning on the engine. Well it appears that all three have this finning.

Any other special features I am unaware of?

Offline PeterShannon

A close up of the middle machines engine:

Offline oil baron

Hi Peter

Can I throw my halfpennies worth in.  I think the three Trial machines are standard production bikes, it was usual to use pretty off the shelf showroom models in such trials.  If you look carefully at the curve of the induction pipe on  the two machines on the left it is much more pronounced than the finned type engine. Look at the section Photo Guide to Douglas models, under 1907 - 26  2-3/4 hp  entry 1913 model submitted by Black Sheep and compare with the photo of the trio's machines, forget about the footboards. Then also compare it back to the race type motor with the extra finning.

Hope this might help

Regards

SteveL
Steve L

Offline PeterShannon

Steve,
 You are correct.
 After looking at the standard model I see that finning on that side of the motor is normal.
 All three are road registered.
 Frank Delandro, one of the Douglas team, sold motorcycles from his Lane Cove Rd, North Sydney shop, later becoming a Ford dealer as well and also was Mayor of North Sydney at some stage.
 Peter.
« Last Edit: 27 Nov 2013 at 02:40 by PeterShannon »

Offline eddie

• Master Member
I also agree with Steve - all the photos of 'TT' machines show a valanced rear mudguard with the extra guard over the belt run - these bikes just have the basic guard.

Eddie.

Offline PeterShannon

The Identity of the riders are L - R: 8232 Edgar Meller, 9174 Frank Delandro, xxxx Frank Meller.
Looks as if this photo was taken at the steps of Sydney GPO.

Peter