Author Topic: Bantam Petrol Filler Cap  (Read 4063 times)

Offline Chris

• Master Member
Bantam Petrol Filler Cap
« on: 13 Oct 2010 at 16:14 »
Hi All
  Help please. Recently my Douglas Bantam petrol filler cap (Identical to the oil filler cap) fell off in the road and was promptly run over by a car. They are hollow of rolled over construction so cannot be taken apart for panel beating and the outer edge is also split so it is scrap. It is almost identical to the filler caps used on The Mark models but about 1/4" smaller in diameter. I believe this size was also used on smaller capacity Douglas models of the early 1930s.
I seem to remember some years ago being told that these were identical to an oil cap used on the rocker cover of a car from the early post war years. Does anyone know where a new or restorable cap of this type can be found?   Chris.

Offline ccew350

Re: Bantam Petrol Filler Cap
« Reply #1 on: 14 Oct 2010 at 19:38 »
Chris, Not sure if it will be of any help, but there is some discussion about car oil caps for Dougie's. If you type "morris caps" in the search box you should get the discussion up.
Good luck, Colin.

Quote of previous post removed - Dave, 16th Oct 2010
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2010 at 01:41 by Dave »
colin

Offline podge

« Reply #2 on: 17 Oct 2010 at 09:30 »
Hi Chris

I have a 1932 A32 which has two filler caps. They are from either a Morris Minor or a MK 1 Austin Mini. To prevent losing them I made up keepers with sink plug chain. If you wish I will take a photo and e-mail it to you.

Regards

Paul

Offline Chris

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 20 Oct 2010 at 17:13 »
Hi Paul and Colin
     Thanks for your advice. I have also had a personal message advising that the Austin A30/31 may also have had the type of filler cap I need. I will research the old car clubs and their spares suppliers. My original caps should have had a chain attached to a riveted loop under the cap but these had been cut off possibly to avoid a dangling cap from damaging the paint work of the petrol tank. Chris.

Offline MRD

« Reply #4 on: 24 Oct 2010 at 09:45 »
Hi Chris
I may have a cap, It looks similar to the one on the Mark but smaller in diameter.
I'll bring it along to club night on Wednesday for you to have a look.
Regards       Martin