Author Topic: DOUGLAS S6  (Read 11412 times)

Offline CHARLIE

DOUGLAS S6
« on: 22 Jun 2010 at 17:15 »
HELLO, I AM NEW TO THIS SITE AND HAVE ATTACHED A PICTURE OF MY S6.  WOULD ANYONE HAVE AN OPINION ON WHY THE FRONT BRAKE IS ON THE WRONG SIDE.
THANKS

« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2010 at 21:42 by Dave »

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: DOUGLAS S6
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jun 2010 at 17:31 »
Hi Charlie,
                 It looks as if the forks may be from another model. S6 forks had the mudguard stays mounted about the same level as the wheel spindle. Your forks have them mounted higher. Also, I see the petrol tank is an earlier type with the oiltank combined, and the battery is mounted under the saddle nose instead of being suspended from the front petrol tank bolts. Maybe some parts originated on an E/F29.
                   Regards,
                                 Eddie.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jun 2010 at 03:40 »
Charlie,

Most peculiar. Up till the 1934 season, it was the OHV models that had the brakes on the right-hand side. The steering stem is indeed S6. If the girder blades were from an OHV model, they would have to be 1926-29, modified to add the headlamp mounting (they were using headlamp irons that plugged into tapered sockets in the lower fort stem at the time.) This does not seem to be the case here, as the top clip seems to be part of the upper girder lug, which is what Douglas did when they went to the four-point headlamp mounting. Does that clip look original or like it was added?

OHV models from 1928-33 are out, as they used a variation of the DT fork, which had a different shape girder blade. Then as mentioned, 1934-35 the brake was on the left-hand side, same as the side valves.

I will have to dig out a set of S6 forks to see if it is possible to assemble the girders on the wrong sides. The axle lugs would be shifted to the outside, but that could be overcome with axle spacers. Are the axle lugs offset in towards the hub (normal) or away?

-Doug

-Doug

Offline MRD

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jun 2010 at 06:56 »
Hi All
If the fork blades were put on the "wrong" sides surly the front brake cable anchorage bracket would either interfere with the tyre or the mudguard!
It would be nice if we could see the other side of the bike or even some close ups of the forks, this might help to diagnose the differences.

Regards         Martin

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 23 Jun 2010 at 23:37 »
I forgot about the brake cable anchorage. I think it would be just above the mudguard, but at a totally useless position. I looked at a set of forks, and the top lug of the blade does not really allow reversal without some engineering work. So until some more details come to light my best guess is a modified set of OHV blades.

-Doug

Offline Michael Scott

• Born again motorcyclist.
« Reply #5 on: 24 Jun 2010 at 08:51 »
Hi Charlie,
                 It looks as if the forks may be from another model. S6 forks had the mudguard stays mounted about the same level as the wheel spindle. Your forks have them mounted higher. Also, I see the petrol tank is an earlier type with the oiltank combined, and the battery is mounted under the saddle nose instead of being suspended from the front petrol tank bolts. Maybe some parts originated on an E/F29.
                   Regards,
                                 Eddie.

all very interesting since my S6 is exactly the same as Charlie's. The brake cable lug is appropriately positioned just above the line of the top of the mud guard. I have four point head lamp lugs. In a bit of a rush so will post some pics later but meanwhile check my profile pic
Regards
Michael

Offline Michael Scott

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jun 2010 at 08:44 »
Charlie
I have now taken a photo of my forks so that the experts can compare. Not sure about the comment on the oil/petrol tank since the S6 has a wet sump.
The eagle eyed will notice that my brake plate is non standard since I have buried a 50's brake in the Douglas drum. It works very well. Apart from much machining to reduce the thickness of the 50's shoes I had make a bush with offset hole bored in it to match the lug on the fork to the pivot point on the back plate. A tongue and grove on the brake spindle takes care on wheel removal.
Regards
Michael

« Last Edit: 26 Jun 2010 at 10:03 by Dave »

Offline CHARLIE

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jun 2010 at 11:50 »
HI ALL
THANKS FOR THE INTEREST. HERE ARE PHOTOS OF MY FRONT FORKS.  HOPE THEY SHED SOME LIGHT ON THE PROBLEM (BRAKE LEVER EXTENTION IS DOWN TO ME). I REALISE THE BIKE IS NOT ALL ORIGINAL AND WOULD LIKE TO RESTORE IT A LITTLE BUT CANNOT FIND ANY PARTS.  ANY IDEAS ON WHERE TO LOOK.
THANKS
CHARLIE

« Last Edit: 26 Jun 2010 at 10:09 by Dave »

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 26 Jun 2010 at 00:12 »
I can not find a catalog model with a fork girder blade having the brake on the right-hand side, and clip mounted headlamp. Even by mixing parts across different years. So it is a bit of a mystery. Maybe an apprentice at the factory goofed-up and built several mirror image sets of front forks?  :)

It looks like in the case of Charlie's fork, someone cut away the original mudguard mounting points of the lower fork.

-Doug

Offline CHARLIE

« Reply #9 on: 28 Jun 2010 at 13:26 »
Hello All, Thanks for the imput.
On very close inspection,I think Doug is right. It is possible that the top lugs on forks may have been added and definately the bottom lugs removed. How does this relate to the right side front brake.I am still confused. Are they o.h.v forks?
Charlie.

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #10 on: 28 Jun 2010 at 22:09 »
Charlie, the mudguard stay attachments are certainly not the same position as on my 1926 OHV

Offline graeme

• Master Member
« Reply #11 on: 29 Jun 2010 at 04:11 »
Don't your forks have side springs Ian? I think we are probably talking later ohv forks

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: 29 Jun 2010 at 04:44 »
Graeme,

I am thinking the steering stem from the S6, to get the links and central spring, and then just the fork blades from an OHV model of the 1925-29 era (like an OC) to get the right-hand brake drum. However one would need to add four clips (integrated into the  fork blade lugs) for the headlamp mounting. Why put the brake on the right-hand side? I do not know, unless someone was building or repairing a bike from whatever parts were available to hand. It is strange that two examples of such a conversion would turn up. Again, whether the clips looked 'factory' and part of the lugs, or added on latter, may be the only way to tell.

-Doug

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #13 on: 29 Jun 2010 at 23:48 »
Graeme, yes mine has the side springs

Offline Michael Scott

« Reply #14 on: 30 Jun 2010 at 15:57 »
All
Just to be clear my forks have no obvious alterations from a factory finish and I only have a central spring which I sourced through the Club after a little bit of trial and error when Chris was running the prewar spares. My spring is barrel shaped whereas Charlies looks straight.
Michael