Author Topic: 1926 EW Timing Cover  (Read 4099 times)

Offline Frank

1926 EW Timing Cover
« on: 10 Aug 2009 at 20:40 »
I've just had a broken valve-lifter cable, so removed the timing cover in order to replace the cable.  It is the first time I have had it off, being a newcomer to Douglas, and the snag is that it won't go back on again!  Is there something I am missing?  It goes on to about the last quarter inch, then seems to hang up on something at the bottom end, as the top flange is ready to lie down, but not the bottom.  Any ideas gratefully received.

Also, as a matter of interest, are there any timing marks on the cams/crankshaft pinion which align when the valve timing is set?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Frank

Offline Frank

Re: 1926 EW Timing Cover
« Reply #1 on: 11 Aug 2009 at 13:18 »
I've answered my own question, folks.  What was stopping it going back on was a combination of two things.  Wear in the cam spindle bushes in the outer case was stopping it lining up properly, and also the valve lifter mechanism was adjusted so as to obstruct slightly the left hand locating peg.  Once I'd figured that out and twiddled stuff around, it went back.  Trouble was, I'd forgotten to fit the gasket, but having got the knack, it went straight back on.  Memo to self - remember to sort out those bushes this coming winter.  :roll:

And the cams/crankshaft are marked for alignment - there was just so much mucky oil on there that I couldn't see it right off.