Author Topic: Douglas EW 350, 1926  (Read 8917 times)

Offline Kai

Douglas EW 350, 1926
« on: 24 Dec 2007 at 05:57 »
Hello!
I am interested in a Douglas. Someone has offered me a EW 350, 1926, shown at the photos.
The motorbike has been restored a lot of years ago and I think there are a lot of things to do.
The carb is a Brown and Barlow. The magneto is an BTH M2 W2.

I have got some questions and I need your help.

Are the parts of the motorbike original ( please have a look at the photos )?
What is a normal price for this Douglas ?

Thank you very much for your help !

Kai

« Last Edit: 24 Dec 2007 at 19:42 by Dave »

Offline davebarkshire

• Vintage Motor Cycle Website (and some music)
Re: Douglas EW 350, 1926
« Reply #1 on: 24 Dec 2007 at 07:26 »
I'm not an expert and there are a few proper experts on this forum so you should wait to see what they say. I do have a 1926 EW ( http://www.barkshire.co.uk/bikes/DouglasEW1926.htm )and am learing about them myself and on that basis here are some comments...

It looks like you have a lot of good parts there which look like the ones on my 26.
It also looks like someone has done a lot of work on it.
The silencer shouldn't have the end piece on the 350 (not so important)
The wheel rims/tyres look 'wrong' against the mudguards. Are they too small?

From the photos, there is nothing that would worry me if I was buying.

As for price, they are not expensive bikes in restored condition and in project condition they should be quite a lot cheaper. It is very hard to get someone to give you a price over the internet as they can only ever be 'wrong'! I will stick my neck out however and duck when the rotten tomatos come flying through my monitor.

Based upon the photos if someone offered me this bike I'd probably put in a starting offer of about GBP 2000 and take it from there. Unfinished projects always cost more than you think to sort out (that is why they are unfinished). Sorting the wheels/tyres you should allow GBP 500.

If it is very nearly on the road and has spares and history and other good reasons to buy it then you might spend up to GBP 4000 if its a good one.

Offline Boxer

Re: Douglas EW 350, 1926
« Reply #2 on: 26 Dec 2007 at 12:34 »
Hi  Kai,
January this year I bought my 26' EW 350 here near Baden Baden. It was restored 10 years ago and placed in an museum. I paid € 6500 including the complete new exhaust system (made in Thailand!). Pictures in the members gallery.

After re-mag of the Magneto (€ 18 in the local Bosch-Dienst!) it runs very well. I only now have to renew the clutch (I already gave an order for the fly-weehl-puller to these Thai guys and for some additional nickel-plating).

I also saw the offer of classic-bikes on moto-club-forum.de. What is the price he is calling up? As Dave already mentioned the tyres are to small, beside this the beaded edge rims seem to be quite OK.

If  you buy it and if you are interested in contact to these Thai-workshop (last long, you have some custom problems, but is really good work) I'll give you a link of the german guy who now lives in Thailand. He comes every year to Beaulieu (then he can deliver without custom costs) where he is selling the belts (made in Thai?) for these vintage belt-drives.

Season greetings,
Rudolf