Author Topic: EW brakes relined  (Read 6410 times)

Offline davebarkshire

• Vintage Motor Cycle Website (and some music)
EW brakes relined
« on: 12 Sep 2007 at 08:40 »
For anyone who has Douglas servo band brakes that need relining...

Mine were sent to Saftek ( http://www.saftek.co.uk/vintage/index.htm ) and they turned them around within 24 hours! For just over 50 squid (including postage back to Devon) they cleaned them up (they were filthy) and have riveted on green linings.  I have attached some photos of the results.

[update image links to https.  22Aug19  -Doug, Site Moderator]
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2019 at 17:09 by Doug »

Offline bazza

Re: EW brakes relined
« Reply #1 on: 13 Sep 2007 at 08:56 »
Hi Dave,Thankyou for your contribution to this site,here's a thought!Some of the the guys complain that EW's brakes are something to be desired so if one was to extend the the length of the crank on the spindle would that put more purchase on the brake bands therefore instead of part of the band hitting the drum maybe more of the band may hit the drum therefore making braking more effective.Something to think about.
Regards Bazza

Offline trevorp

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 13 Sep 2007 at 09:15 »
It may pay to not chamfer the leading edge as they are self energising type and more effective with sharper edge
i could be in for another slapping here lol

Offline sidecar willy

« Reply #3 on: 13 Sep 2007 at 16:11 »
Dave...been looking at my brakes for some time wondering pondering where I could get them lined. Put them to the bottom of the list of things to do......one day. I have so many other bits to sort out powder coating, cleaning, chroming, wiring etc etc..long list. Then wey hey up pops your suggestion...great news and I will use them right away.

Thanks indeed.
Bill