Author Topic: A Rather Late Introduction  (Read 1844 times)

Offline PaulW

A Rather Late Introduction
« on: 12 May 2019 at 20:55 »
As I've already posted a few question, I'm a bit late in introducing myself, but better late than never.  I'm Paul from Dorset and I've been involved in vintage motorcycles since 1982 when I first joined the VMCC and have been a member ever since. I've had BSA, Matchless, New Imperial, Sunbeam but my real love are Ariels, particularly the "Black Ariels" from 1926 to 1930 of which I have a few.  But until recently, I've never owned a Douglas...

At the beginning of March, a friend of mine in the Douglas Club, and an S6 owner, told me of a number of S6's and T6's that were coming up for sale. They were bikes owned by club member Les Young and were being sold off by his widow and sons with help from the Douglas Club.  I travelled down to see them and took a friend....we ended up buying all three bikes plus a lot of engine / gearbox spares.  We each own one S6 and have a half share in the T6.  All three are 1930.

The viewing:

The bikes haven't been ridden or started for some time, probably about 10-15 years, but it didn't take us long to get the two S6 up-and-running.  We've no intention of restoring these S6s; we love the original patina of both; they are perfect "oily rag" bikes.  The T6 is a bit different as it has required much more work to make it mechanically sound: mag rewind, replacement clutch bearing, new headstock bearings, etc etc but the engine is running nicely.

On the road:

My S6 (PL 2257) passed through the hands of G.D. Brown back in 1974 and was MOTed by them in 1999:

Finally, a photo of the T6...soon to be joining the two S6s back on the road after a long sleep: