Author Topic: apply transfers, will not conform to petrol tank  (Read 5390 times)

Offline bedwa

apply transfers, will not conform to petrol tank
« on: 27 May 2005 at 16:04 »
Bri

1932 Douglas - 600cc fuel tank. Has just been rechromed by company called 'Finishing Touch'. They are having difficulty now putting on the tartan transfers which run around both sides of the tank. Tank is CURVED and transfers are FLAT so they crinkle when applied. Even when cut into six pieces they still will not join and 'sit' on the tank smoothly. (Transfers obtained from Classic Transfers who accept they are now impossible to fit and are therefore apparently considering not supplying them in future.)

Has anyone got any ideas - or actually done the job successfully? Finishing Touch have given up trying to do the job!
bri edwards

Offline Daren W Australia

• Master Member
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2005 at 22:45 »
Hi use water with a dot of soap to make it slide around then squeeze the water out with a squeegee Regards Daren (ex window tinter)
too many dougli not enough time!

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2005 at 03:39 »
Bri,

Like Darren I am assuming these are the newer water-slide type.  They have a thicker film than the old varnish affixing type.  I have only worked with the latter varnish type, and a pair I applied to my Mark 3 petrol tank posed no problems.  

I have not tried this, but how about using hot water?  Or failing that, very hot water?  It might make the film more compliant.  

-Doug