Author Topic: Aero 600  (Read 1299 times)

Offline Tazmantic

Aero 600
« on: 01 Apr 2023 at 20:18 »
Hi I’m after Aero handle bar clamps I think they are the same for all models.

Cheers Neil

Offline Dads bike

Re: Aero 600
« Reply #1 on: 02 Apr 2023 at 08:17 »
Morning Neil
Sorry can’t help with these; but the Douglas club pre-war spares did have them stocked. Unfortunately it is currently closed,  nobody available to run it.
Just to be a little picky, the handlebar clamps for the1937/8 Aero differ slightly from the earlier models in that the centre section is cut out to allow neat running of some of the control cables, whereas the earlier models are solid and the cabling for the reverse leavers on these runs through the handlebar system.
Steve

Offline Dads bike

« Reply #2 on: 02 Apr 2023 at 08:51 »
Morning again Neil
Do you have the link to the 1936/37 Aero spares book? It’s on here somewhere, I can find it if you haven’t got it.
If yo do have it; the listings under F, reference the 1937 6P version. You can see from these listings the differences and omissions between the two 1936 600cc Aeros. Engine number prefix 6L and 6M and the 1937 6P version.
Doug Kephart also produced a very informative writing on the evolution of the Aero in the tech section on here.

Steve

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 02 Apr 2023 at 09:04 »
Neil,
        We were told at last week's AGM that the LDMCC prewar spares scheme is up and running again - the new man is now trying to catch up with the backlog!

Regards,
                 Eddie.

Offline Tazmantic

« Reply #4 on: 02 Apr 2023 at 10:34 »
Morning again Neil
Do you have the link to the 1936/37 Aero spares book? It’s on here somewhere, I can find it if you haven’t got it.
If yo do have it; the listings under F, reference the 1937 6P version. You can see from these listings the differences and omissions between the two 1936 600cc Aeros. Engine number prefix 6L and 6M and the 1937 6P version.
Doug Kephart also produced a very informative writing on the evolution of the Aero in the tech section on here.

Steve

Hi Steve, thanks again it came with a printout of the spares list so should be in there, I’ve attached a pic of the section and it seems odd that a steering damper is not on there for the “F”

Cheers Neil

Update just had a quick scan through the evolution and it seems they may not have been fitted with steering dampers so that could be why  :)
« Last Edit: 02 Apr 2023 at 11:23 by Tazmantic »

Offline Tazmantic

« Reply #5 on: 02 Apr 2023 at 10:38 »
Neil,
        We were told at last week's AGM that the LDMCC prewar spares scheme is up and running again - the new man is now trying to catch up with the backlog!

Regards,
                 Eddie.

Thanks Eddie that’s good to know I was hoping to go along but since my company has changed us to electric vans my range is now severely restricted  :frown:

Thanks Neil

Offline Tazmantic

« Reply #6 on: 08 Apr 2023 at 22:30 »
Just looked on the pre war spares list and they don’t seem to be listed so will email them

Neil

Offline Tazmantic

« Reply #7 on: 09 Apr 2023 at 22:18 »
Spares department emailed and looks like there are non so presume not many were made so the search goes on  :cry:

Neil

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #8 on: 10 Apr 2023 at 11:54 »
Neil,
        I have been having a look through some of my documents relating to the Aero models, and have come across a Photoshopped copy of a drawing for the handlebar link. As you will see, the part number is 16867 - so it looks as if prewar spares do stock them! - Douglas have caused confusion by referring to it as a 'distance piece'! (I have changed the title to 'handlebar link' to make future referencing easier - see attached scan). You will also note that it is the second version of that drawing - I think the modification was the inclusion of a   central slot to facilitate a smooth run for the control cables. The second scan shows the area around the top of the steering head - with the earlier, solid 'distance pieces'

Hope this is of some help,
                                       Regards,
                                                    Eddie.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 10 Apr 2023 at 15:20 »
To add to the conversation. If you find some 2nd hand ones, be aware that the 1934 models had one inch diameter handlebars and not 7/8. Otherwise the distance piece/handlebar link/spacer looks the same as the 1935-36 models. This change in handlebar diameter also impacts the steel clamp that wraps around the handlebar. Not sure if this the Top or Bottom Clamp named in the spares list. The clamp at the girder fork end and the u-bolt remain the same from 1934-38.

-Doug

Offline Tazmantic

« Reply #10 on: 10 Apr 2023 at 19:13 »
Neil,
        I have been having a look through some of my documents relating to the Aero models, and have come across a Photoshopped copy of a drawing for the handlebar link. As you will see, the part number is 16867 - so it looks as if prewar spares do stock them! - Douglas have caused confusion by referring to it as a 'distance piece'! (I have changed the title to 'handlebar link' to make future referencing easier - see attached scan). You will also note that it is the second version of that drawing - I think the modification was the inclusion of a   central slot to facilitate a smooth run for the control cables. The second scan shows the area around the top of the steering head - with the earlier, solid 'distance pieces'

Hope this is of some help,
                                       Regards,
                                                    Eddie.

Hi Eddie, thanks for that and I sent the spares guy a list of the Douglas part numbers but he told me he would need the club numbers and I could not find any of the parts listed on the clubs prewar parts list so I’ve sent a picture of what I want in hope, the Douglas part numbers of what I need are..

711/a

Cheers Neil

Offline Tazmantic

« Reply #11 on: 22 Apr 2023 at 20:16 »
Bump  :cry:

Offline Tazmantic

« Reply #12 on: 29 Apr 2023 at 16:54 »
Apparently prewar spares don’t have any so looks like my fate is in the hands of you guys on here…

Cheers Neil