Author Topic: Parts for my 1947 7 48 DOUGLAS BIKES  (Read 5902 times)

Offline Timothy

Parts for my 1947 7 48 DOUGLAS BIKES
« on: 18 Feb 2013 at 21:59 »
i HAVE READ ON THE NEW DOUGLAS WEB SITE THEY CANNOT SHIP PARTS OUTSIDE OF THE UK. SO WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO GET SOME PARTS FROM THEM? DO I NEED A MAILING ADDRESS IN THE UK TO HAVE THEM SHIPPED TO AND THEN HAVE THEM SHIPPED TO ME? OR WHILE USE MY CANADIAN ADDRESS AS A DEFAULT AND CANCEL THE ORDER. IT REALLY SEEMS AS SHAME AS I HAVE TWO BIKES TO FINISH AND COULD USE PARTS FROM THE CLUB TO HELP GET THINGS DONE. IT ALSO DEFEATS THE PURPOSE OF THE BELONGING TO THE CLUB, AS THEY HAVE TIED UP THE AVAILABLE REPRODUCTIONS ETC FOR CLUB MEMBERS ONLY. I KNOW OF ONE FRIEND HEAR IN CANADA THAT BELONGS TO MY CVMG SECTION WHO MADE DIES FOR CASTING THE WAFFLE BOX MUFFLERSAND DONATED THEM TO THE CLUB SO THAT OTHER MEMEBERS COULD BENEFIT FROM HIS WORK. NOW THE MEMBERS THAT LIVE HERE ARE CUT OUT OF THE DEAL, I REALLY FEEL THIS IS WRONG HEADED.

TIMOTHY MCVEIGH TORONTO CANADA, LONDON DOUGLAS CLUB MEMBER FOR SEVERAL YEARS

Online Doug

• Administrator
Re: Parts for my 1947 7 48 DOUGLAS BIKES
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2013 at 00:34 »
Timothy,

Unfortunately it is a matter of liability. An insurance policy to cover sales of spare parts to North America would exceed the revenue generated. The Club was only turning over about $400 per year average in sales to NA, and this was less than the extra cost of the insurance. To have such a policy would mean that the rest of the membership would have to subsidize the insurance premium for NA.

The nature of the current insurance policy, as described to me, was that the Club was not even permitted to knowingly supply spares to NA via a third party. So ordering spares but requesting the spares shipped to a UK address before forwarding on does not circumvent the Club's liability.

They may be able to supply certain items that have a low probability of failure, or if they fail are unlikely to result in injury or death. You would have to ask the spares secretary based on your specific requirements.

Unfortunately this situation has existed for many, many years. Various folk (including myself) have looked at it from various angles to the extent of setting up a limited import company, but so far no cost effective solution has been found. Given the increasing litigation nature of modern society, it does not appear likely that one will be found. It is not a case of ultraconservative 'if they get sued' but a case of 'it already happened'.

-Doug

Offline Timothy

« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2013 at 00:40 »
Hi Doug , I understand this situation but it still is bothersome. It is unfortunate how things have have gone, it does make the keeping and restoration of these machines much harder and could indeed cause many to just give up an concentrate on newer machines.

Timothy

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 19 Feb 2013 at 07:11 »
Can I just add something to Doug's comments? As I understand it, even with the inflated premium, the addition of cover for North America would have resulted in the LDMCC's cover for the rest of the world being reduced by 80%!!!!
    Also, the LDMCC is not the only club with this problem - most one make clubs here in the UK are in a similar situation!

Regards,
                 Eddie.

Offline Chris

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 19 Feb 2013 at 07:53 »
Hi Timothy
       From your opening comments on this subject it should be made clear to members elsewhere in the world that this situation applies only to North America. The LDMCC happily and regularly ships spares to dozens of countries around the world. There was a time some years ago when there were no restrictions to supplying N.A. under the terms of product liability insurance then the insurance company used by the LDMCC withdrew cover for N.A. For a couple more years the LDMCC was able to find an alternative company without the restriction but then that company joined with all the others in restricting cover to N.A.
      It goes even further than product liability insurance in that when my brother came to England from Australia I was able to add him to my bike policy at no extra cost so that he could ride one of my machines in a major classic event. The classic bike insurers are now refusing point blank to provide cover even at extra cost for a friend from the USA to ride one of my machines in this years Banbury Run. Clearly North American lawyers have done you no favours in the eyes of the rest of the world.  Chris