Author Topic: Dragonfly - Where to position the Rectifier, coil and Horn?  (Read 1220 times)

Offline BrmBrm

Hello everybody.
Could you please advise me of where to position the Rectifier, Coil and Horn? That is for a standaerd Dragonfly.

I have a bracket with hole centres as the front, transverse, tank  mounting hole.And one end hole in a 90deg. bend at the end of this.

Presently mounted centrally on this is a 6V Lucas coil (may not be original).
The rectifier has a single centre mounting stud.
The horn also has a single mounting stud (may not be original).

I'm OK with the wiring, it's just the general positions please.

Thank you
Dave G

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Dave,
          All the electrics on the Dragonfly were Miller. The coil was mounted under the frame top tube with a flat steel strip clip around it and the top tube. The ends of the clip were bent out at 90 degrees with a 1/4" nut and bolt to tighten the clamp. There was a shaped rubber block (about 2" long) between the coil and frame tube. The coil was not physically earthed to the frame. Originally, there was a vertical hanging bracket 9of shallow channel section) just behind the steering head to take the rectifier. These early rectifiers were not very efficient and a lot of owners have changed to a modern solid state rectifier to improve the generator output. These usually get mounted on the plate across the 2 front tank mounting bolts (it also forms a heat sink). The original rectifier can still be mounted on it's intended bracket to maintain the genuine appearance.
   The horn was originally mounted on the underside of the plate across the front tank mounts.

Hope this helps,
                            Regards,
                                          Eddie.

Offline BrmBrm

Thanks again Eddie, that will be my next  job.
If I've understood correctly -
Mount the original rectifier (working or not) to the vertical bracket.
Mount the coil to the underside of the top frame tube including a rubber block, at present it is attached by the previous owner to the transverse strap between the tank lugs.
Mount the horn, face down, to the transverse strap.

This is to assemble the bike to find out what works and what doesn't, but in as nearest to more or less original as I can.

Very many thanks and best wishes,
Dave G