Author Topic: veteren bike  (Read 3505 times)

Offline carl denton

veteren bike
« on: 26 Jun 2019 at 08:24 »
hi am I correct in thinking that a bike with a frame number 41399 is a 1919 ex war department . with veteran style tank and forks it has got the goose neck style steering tube ?

hope some other douglas owner can clarify it . thanks carl . 

Offline Bert

Re: veteren bike
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2019 at 23:56 »
Carl you can use the reference section to search engine, frame numbers and a description of the model changes. There is also a section to search by photographs.
PS. veterAn

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jun 2019 at 03:07 »
Carl,

The link to the numbering guide Bert referred to can be found here:

https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/index.php?topic=488.0

Photo guide by model here:

https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/index.php?board=50.0

-Doug

Offline carl denton

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jun 2019 at 05:48 »
Thanks for the reply, I know the frame is 1919 and have almost all the main parts to put it back together but still not clear if it needs the veteran style tank and forks or the same as a TS ?.
Thanks Carl

Offline Hutch

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun 2019 at 01:21 »
Carl,

From what I can work out Douglas were not released from their WW1 contract until sometime in 1919. So new bikes, "W.D." models of the "veteran" style frame, tank and fork were still being made in 1919 (and later to use up surplus parts.

An easy way to check to see what forks you need might be to measure the diameter of the receptacle for the head lug ball races in your frame (part 674D for a "veteran" frame and 1586D for a "Vintage frame")

674D = 1 9/16"
1586D = 1 23/32"

The veteran steering column tube is 1" diameter. The TS one is 1 1/8" and may not even fit through the steering head on the earlier frames (they don't on my veteran frame).

I have a supposedly (...on reasonably good authority) 1919/1920 tank and it is of the early "veteran" design, not the TS style, but has a "two blue panel" paint design like a TS rather than the "three blue panel" design of the veteran ones. The paint work appears to be original. So it could be that veteran style tanks were used in the 1919-20 period alongside the TS style but I cannot say for certain which style your frame may have had originally. If the frame only takes veteran style forks then one might assume it had a veteran style tank originally??

1919-1920 was a time of flux for Douglas changing over from the war effort to civilian effort and their documentation (i.e. parts books and sales brochures) doesn't appear to always reflect  exactly what was going out the doors.

Cheers

Ian

Offline carl denton

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jun 2019 at 13:28 »
thank you so much ian , that is a really good idea to measure the stem ID . I have looked at so many pictures on line and in lbooks like you say that year its very hard to be sure what these bike had fitted to them .
sort of hope it don't need the veteran girders they are the one thing I don't have any spares of.

thanks again .