Author Topic: Torsion Bars  (Read 2098 times)

Offline Andyjwb

Torsion Bars
« on: 29 Jan 2019 at 15:07 »
Hi
The manual states that torsion bars for a mark are handed and coloured to identify. How important is this? I have a pair to fit but no sign of any colour left on them. Would it matter if I got it wrong?

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: Torsion Bars
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jan 2019 at 18:35 »
Torsion bars - like coil springs - when put under load, take a 'set' - that is, they settle a little. Therefore, if the load is reversed, the ride height may alter by twice the amount of settlement. Provided a torsion bar is not overloaded, this settlement should only happen on the initial fitment, so I would suggest that if your bars are of uncertain handage - fit them, ride the bike carefully for about 50 miles, then check and reset the ride height of each bar. This will entail removing the pivot bolts from the rear links as the 2 bars may be fighting each other and not exerting equal loads on the swinging arm.

Regards,
                  Eddie.

Offline Andyjwb

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jan 2019 at 22:26 »
Thanks Eddie think it will be a while till it gets to riding stage but at least I can assemble for now.
Thanks Andy

Offline isettaman

« Reply #3 on: 01 Feb 2019 at 09:29 »
Very useful information for me too, my torsion bars for my 80+ have no markings on them either so I'll take Eddie's advice.
Thanks
Dave