Author Topic: Mk5 bronzeoil pump  (Read 2084 times)

Offline dalgrae

Mk5 bronzeoil pump
« on: 24 Dec 2017 at 09:52 »
Hi can anyone please advise me regarding the amount of end float on the Mk bronze oil pump ,I have been looking at the box of bits that came with my bike and have found a complete pump,it appears to have been modified by having the rotor bore machined to enlarge it ,the end float between the gear face and the pump shaft body is .140 which seems rather a lot.

Regards colin

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: Mk5 bronzeoil pump
« Reply #1 on: 24 Dec 2017 at 11:26 »
Colin,
          The end float of the pump shaft is NOT controlled by the position of the drive gear - there is normally a gap of just over 1/8" between the gear and the top of the pump body. The end float is controlled by the fit of the head of the pump shaft in the pumping chamber - the depth of the chamber should be the same as the depth of the head - the paper gasket on the cover plate provides the running clearance for the pump.
  If your spare pump has been machined out to give greater output, other problems may arise. The vanes having more travel will mean the spring is less compressed, so not exerting as much pressure, with the possibility that some oil could escape past the poorly seating vanes - resulting in more theoretical output but less pressure.

Regards,
                Eddie.

Offline dalgrae

Re: Mk5 bronzeoil pump
« Reply #2 on: 24 Dec 2017 at 12:10 »
Hi Eddie thanks for the reply ,so its back to the spares box for the pump .

Happy Christmas

Regards. Colin