Author Topic: 2 3/4 Kickstarters  (Read 2830 times)

Offline GlennMckenzie

2 3/4 Kickstarters
« on: 03 Aug 2017 at 02:04 »
Hi all,

I just took ownership of a CNC Wirecutting machine with plans to reproduce a few Douglas parts in the future, starting with 2 3/4 Kickstarters. I made a few of these in the past and they turned out great.
Also, in the future, I'm looking at reproducing the Crankshaft Pinion gears, Cam Followers and any other hard to find parts that come up.
Probably looking for around $75 Each for the Kickstarter gears or may trade for 2 3/4 parts.
Also, please let me know if you have Cad Drawings of the Pinion gear and Cam followers?

Thanks for looking, Glenn

Offline midman

Re: 2 3/4 Kickstarters
« Reply #1 on: 03 Aug 2017 at 15:00 »
Glenn,
Put me on the list for one of them.
Thanks,
Chuck

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 03 Aug 2017 at 16:07 »
Glenn,

Wire cutting is pretty slow and high maintenance (I've run four), I hope you are going to just use it for the teeth and mill the rest of the profile? I always  pondered getting a smaller, used one for the home workshop but then remembered how much I spent on supplies, preventative maintenance, and service on the ones in the shop I managed!

Next week I am meeting with the gear hobbing shop about quotes for a small production batch of 2-3/4hp pinions and gear blanks. If that falls through, I can give you the drawings and you can have a go.

-Doug

Offline GlennMckenzie

« Reply #3 on: 08 Aug 2017 at 13:53 »
Hi Doug,

Not sure why you think they are high maintenance? My experience has been the complete opposite, its and extremely efficient and reliable technology as there is a very minimal load on any moving parts during the cutting process. Also, this machine is quite unique on the consumables side. It only uses about 6 meters of wire at a time that's wound on a drum at the back of the machine. It runs the same 6 metres of Wire slowly back and forward, reusing it over and over again giving you about 40 hours of cutting out of the one 6 meter length of the Wire. All other CNC Wirecutter I have used, the Wire passes through the job once and its dropped into a bin at the back of the machine. As the machine runs untended I'm not worried if it runs all night.

Cheers, Glenn

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 10 Aug 2017 at 05:15 »
Not sure why you think they are high maintenance?

Glenn, Based on as I said having run four and been responsible for authorizing and writing the checks for supplies, service, and maintenance.

I can qualify that, but the reply will run on longer than really is appropriate for this board. Talking about wEDM to make Douglas parts is one thing. Debating the finer points of the pros and cons of wEDM goes well off-topic. So I am going to split off the rest of the reply and put it over in the Kingswood Pub, in case anyone is interested in reading it.

The link to that thread is:
https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/index.php?topic=6676.msg25105#msg25105

-Doug