Author Topic: Amal 274 Carburettor Bell Mouth  (Read 2444 times)

Offline Red

Amal 274 Carburettor Bell Mouth
« on: 07 Jun 2017 at 15:12 »
The bank holiday Sunday I attended the Bristol Cavalcade and had a good day out and covered around 180 miles on my Mark 5. Sadly when I got home I noticed that I had lost the nearside carburettor bell mouth. I contacted a couple of suppliers and only Hitchcock's Motorcycles could help, but what they initially supplied did not fit - too small. Eventually after providing them with dimensions of the thread on the carb body which is 1 1/4 inches by 24 TPI they supplied a bell mouth for the Amal 276 (part number AM/6/038) and this fitted perfectly. Some of you may already be aware of this difference, but I thought I would mention it just in case. Cost of the bell mouth was £9.40 plus VAT and postage. Their Web site address is www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com
« Last Edit: 08 Jun 2017 at 10:30 by Red »

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: Amal 274 Carburettor Bell Mouth
« Reply #1 on: 07 Jun 2017 at 15:27 »
Hi Roy,
           There are a couple of anomalies with the 274 carbs on a Mark. The first, as you have found out, is that they use 276 bellmouths. The second is that the carb bodies are cast in aluminium, whereas most other Amals are a zinc based alloy.

Regards,
                Eddie.

Offline Red

Re: Amal 274 Carburettor Bell Mouth
« Reply #2 on: 08 Jun 2017 at 10:23 »
Hi Eddie

Yes I am still learning, but at least Hitchcocks were very helpful. I did try Burlens but even though I gave them all the information they apparently did not stock the standard bell mouth and all they had was the screw on intake with the gauze filter. The other thing I did find out was that club spares do have a reasonable stock of new Amal 274 bodies with the vertical fixing holes, so if anyone is in need of a carburettor they could probably build one up.

Roy
« Last Edit: 08 Jun 2017 at 10:29 by Red »