Author Topic: 26 ew - cam, pinion gears, timing  (Read 2773 times)

Offline kev

26 ew - cam, pinion gears, timing
« on: 10 Sep 2016 at 22:22 »
back again

the cam and pinion gears

obviously I have no idea if any of these parts are matching?  or even 26 ew...  but they seem to fit and look fine
  now..getting them in order   my pinion has three key slots, one is marked with a dot....I have keyed that to the crank...that still leaves me with the other two..?

the cams, both good ones I have...after several hours of stoning and squaring up...  both have two timing marks.. just on either side of the peak of the cam..  both of my good cams have the drive slot for the gear oil pump...  I have the worm drive pump..

the pinion has two timing marks 180 apart....I can make this line vertical... set the cams to the marks
... with the timing marks aligned...seems to be about 5 -10 degrees off the specs I have  ...15 and 50..??

lookin for any advice...do I just adjust to 15 and 50 with degree wheel,  and ignore all the timing marks...??
 ...... do I adjust the pinion???

such a simple little engine and so many questions...

a photo showing the relationship of the cam lobes installed in a working engine would be a great help...  are they 180 degrees opposite??

and also the question of fixing the worm drive to the crank...does this require a tab washer???  looks like the pump would unscrew it...even some damage to the inner side of the cover...looks like it has come off before...

yes this dougy will oil the roads of queensland again
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2016 at 19:46 by Dave »

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: 26 ew - cam and pinion gears
« Reply #1 on: 11 Sep 2016 at 00:58 »
They used that same cam gear arrangement (though not oil pump and drive) on the lightweights up to 1936 with minor variations, so good chance it is a mix of parts. The cam profile on both the inlet and exhaust are identical, and later on they shared a common part number when the drive slot was eliminated. Cams that did not have the drive used a collar to make up the space. As you noted earlier inlet cams have the drive slot for the early style gear oil pump, but its presence in a later engine is a harmless redundancy.

Ignore any timing marks and just set per the cam orientation diagram in the EW handbook. If you do not have the handbook, get one!  :)

The three key ways in the engine pinion are to allow splitting the timing by 1/3 of a tooth.

-Doug

Offline kev

« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2016 at 03:31 »

doug

thanks heaps for that...I have some work to do tonight...whooooohaaaaaa

after playing with cams and degree wheel till midnight...I assumed that was the solution... just set to 15 and 50... with the marks...lined up real nice,  I am off by about 8-9 degrees??

I,m pretty sure I have the handbook??...a few of them... 
   can you give me the title...make sure I have the one I should..

Offline kev

« Reply #3 on: 11 Sep 2016 at 11:05 »
doug...
 the timing is easy as pie...once you ignore the timing marks and just follow the degree wheel
esp. after you told me about the 1/3 tooth for the keyway
got this gear puller had to on and off quite a few times...  for $5.00 ...cant be beat...

thanks again

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/65mm-2-Two-Jaws-Gear-Puller-Bearing-Disassembly-Tool-Spiral-Forging-Technology-/301826534190?hash=item4646436b2e:g:NysAAOSwhkRWb8pQ

« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2016 at 19:50 by Dave »