Author Topic: restoration  (Read 5507 times)

Offline drvrv6

restoration
« on: 12 Mar 2016 at 18:28 »
hi . ive got a douglas 2 3 4 hp bike not sure of the year about 1922 . looking to get it restored  it runs and drives .overall not in bad condition .any help or advice would be much appereciated.

Offline drvrv6

Re: restoration
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2016 at 22:31 »
anyone any ideas on this

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 16 Mar 2016 at 00:53 »
drvr6,

That is a very broad question for anyone to tackle. Perhaps you could be a little more specific? Are you looking for a restoration service or to restore it yourself? Restoration to an 'oily rag' runner or concourse machine? A static exhibit to take to shows, or something that can do extended rally mileage? Etc, etc. One hardly knows where to start.

Also a photo or two would help describe the current condition; a picture is worth a thousand words.

As for the year, you can get an approximate estimate looking at the identification tables here on this Forum.
https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/aa-files/html/identify-part1/veteran3.5.htm
For example, 1922 machines would have serial numbers in the range of 51801-55370.

-Doug

Offline drvrv6

« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2016 at 21:54 »
sorry but you are right .i would like to take it to a reputable restoration company or person.id prefer to have it restored to an original oily rag type restoration .working but looking  nearly 100 yrs old .i would not tackle a project like this .it requires old knowledge i think . and  i dont have enough years under my belt. i can provide photos .it starts and runs .drv

Offline Black Sheep

« Reply #4 on: 17 Mar 2016 at 19:29 »
If it starts and runs, why not just use it? My 2 3/4hp came out of my late father in law's shed unrestored. I had the magneto refurbished and since then I have just ridden it.
You would need to choose someone who really knows how to rebuild a Douglas if you want to get it worked on. There are too many stories of 'restorers' inflicting mechanical mayhem on old bikes.

Offline steveale

« Reply #5 on: 17 Mar 2016 at 19:34 »
what part of Ireland are you living?  I lived there from 2004-2007, I may know a couple of guys over there that might be able to provide some guidance...

Offline drvrv6

« Reply #6 on: 18 Mar 2016 at 15:27 »
im in the midlands near portlaois

Offline tck

• old racer
« Reply #7 on: 20 Mar 2016 at 13:40 »
Oily rag ,mend it as it breaks is good advice. If in any doubt do the Mag. If its a bit down on power then grind in the valves-(after all ninety years ago they did it en route by the road side, its Side valve simple) Fit new tyres as required, and then ride it till it goes wrong and because its such a well proven and sturdy design that may be a long time. That's what I decided to do to mine ten years ago and numerous runs and a couple of Banburys later I am still waiting....

Offline cardan

• Master Member
    • Leon's Vintage Motorcycle Page
« Reply #8 on: 20 Mar 2016 at 20:48 »

I was recently asked to "ride" and "oily rag" bike (non Douglas) that was having its first outing on a veteran rally. It did start and go, but other than that it was a disgraceful potential death trap.

I have a number of bikes that have original finish, and others that I haven't spent money on paint and plating. But underneath the mechanical essentials have been done. Please, please, please make sure that, at the very last, all the control cables, front fork and steering, brakes, and wheels (bearings, spokes, rims, tyres and tubes) have been thoroughly serviced (and renovated if necessary) and are in good working order. Even if you don't need an MOT, safety should be paramount.

Cheers

Leon

Offline drvrv6

« Reply #9 on: 27 Mar 2016 at 20:27 »
i agree .we get carried away on the restoration .and getting it out for the first run which happens to be next saturday and  safety is over . ill keep an eye on that  aspect of things .drv