Author Topic: EW 350 lower head stem bearing assembly  (Read 2793 times)

Offline DocAustin

EW 350 lower head stem bearing assembly
« on: 19 Feb 2016 at 13:19 »
Does anyone have a photo of the assembly and components for the lower bearing and housing of the EW head stem.  I have the top end sorted but I have a variety of bearing housings that either give too little or too much clearance.  Am I missing something?

Regards
Ian

Offline carl denton

Re: EW 350 lower head stem bearing assembly
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2016 at 12:18 »
hi

do you have any photos of what you have , I have got a few EW bikes might be able to help if I can see your parts.

yours carl

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 20 Feb 2016 at 13:09 »
Ian,

I do not think there is much in the way of parts at the lower end of the head stem. Just the two parts of the ball race (and the balls of course!) and a sheet metal dust shield. Or at least that is all the parts list suggests there is.  The frame for my EW basket case is a little inaccessible, but I will see if a I cannot get a closer look at it.

-Doug

[Fix typos. 20Feb16, Doug]
« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2016 at 00:12 by Doug »

Offline DocAustin

« Reply #3 on: 20 Feb 2016 at 20:34 »
I managed to put it together.  The thing that stumped me was that the two EW frames I have are completely different.  One has a bearing race built into the lower part of the tube and the one I am working on has a cup like arrangement with a small lip inside.  It uses a different bearing race than the other.  I will take some photos and post them.  What made it worse is that I have a borrowed 27 EW to copy and it has an arrangement like the frame I am not working on.  When I tried to copy this arrangement there was not enough head stem to bolt the handlebars on.  I am finding that no two bikes are completely the same!