Author Topic: Mark 4 stiff gearchange  (Read 2509 times)

Offline Ian

• Master Member
Mark 4 stiff gearchange
« on: 14 Nov 2014 at 02:16 »
My wifes new Mark 4 ran well on the Douglas rally - however I took it for a run today and the gearchange is really stiff. Not sure when that started as I did not run it during the rally myself. Any advice on what to look at first on these ?

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: Mark 4 stiff gearchange
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2014 at 07:30 »
Ian,
      I presume the 'box has stiffened up in all gears - in which case, try removing the gear indicator (to make sure that is not pinching on the end of the gearchange shaft), and see if there is any improvement. If not, then remove the gearchange cover (6 Allen Screws) including the quadrant. Check that the quadrant slides freely on the key when slid back into place in the gearchange assembly. While the cover is off, check to see if the detent plunger has a small flat down one side (early plungers did not have this flat and have been known to hydraulically lock in the guide). Unfortunately , remedying this involves removing the 'box to undo the blanking plug that hides the end of the selector shaft (with the shaft out, the selectors can be moved to release the plunger).

Hope this helps,
                Regards,
                              Eddie.
  P.S. My Dragonfly did the same when first rebuilt - I checked it out and found nothing wrong, so put it back together and it's worked perfectly ever since (now done another 35,000 miles). I guess I must have just disturbed something!!

Offline Ian

• Master Member
Re: Mark 4 stiff gearchange
« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2014 at 19:29 »
Thanks Eddie - will start investigating