Author Topic: mk5 carb setting  (Read 2645 times)

Offline dalgrae

mk5 carb setting
« on: 16 Aug 2014 at 15:18 »
Can someone please tell me the standard carb settings for my mk5 ,today I tried to start the bike with engine cold andno matter what I tried it would not fire probably about 15 ish kicks after I had a rest I had another go and it fired and then picked up OK, it went fine no misfires at all ,after about 7 miles I parked it up for a couple of hours but during this time I started it about 3 times it started first kick every time as it always has done after initial cold start,on my return I have checked over the settings,timing spot on,pilot air screws 2 turns out ,throttle slides number 4/4 but the spark plugs were very black at electrodes,what should be the needle clip position as what puzzles me is if it is rich why does it start so easy when hot,it ticks over fine

Regards. Colin

Offline grav220

Re: mk5 carb setting
« Reply #1 on: 17 Aug 2014 at 07:48 »
Hi Colin
If you do a search on the forum you will find several posts from Eddie about carb settings for the Amals. My Mk1/T35 starts cold fine if I flood the carb by holding down the tickler pins on each float chamber for a second or two (or until petrol leaks from the carb) and then about half throttle. But it's not so good if I try an immediate hot restart. I am still experimenting with this and it seems as though it starts best hot with minimal throttle. It also seems to run and pick up best with the idle air screw almost fully in. I suspect each bike is different  to some extent, with various wear in the engine, valves, timing gears and carbs etc.
Happy biking
Graham

Offline dalgrae

Re: mk5 carb setting
« Reply #2 on: 17 Aug 2014 at 14:58 »
Thanks for the reply,I researched the forum and then did the following,2 gentle kicks on kick start both carbs flooded using tickler then on the second kick it fired on 3rd kick it started so I assume I was not flooding it enough ,I will flood a bit more next time and see what happens

Regards. Colin