Author Topic: mk5 drive sprocket  (Read 4003 times)

Offline dalgrae

mk5 drive sprocket
« on: 07 Aug 2014 at 08:54 »
Can someone please point me in the right direction please ,I am trying to find the parts list that shows the drive sprocket and seal arrangement for my mk5 but after going through the parts book a couple of times I cannot find it

Regards Colin

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: mk5 drive sprocket
« Reply #1 on: 07 Aug 2014 at 12:20 »
Colin,

It is Plate 19 in the Spares List (page 59). The sprocket is item 16 and the felt seal is item 12. There is also an exploded view on page 52 of the Maintenance Manual and description of renewal starting at the bottom of page 53.

-Doug

Offline dalgrae

« Reply #2 on: 07 Aug 2014 at 12:52 »
Thanks couldn't see it for looking ,I have a fair sized leak coming from the seal diameter so I presume the felt seal is no good,does this now mean I have to remove the sub assembly as shown on page 52 and then strip out the shaft to change the felt seal,if so I assume I undo the nuts that retain item10 on plate 19 and then pull the housing out complete,will it come away from the bearing  item 7 OK

Regards. Colin

Offline Neville Heath

« Reply #3 on: 07 Aug 2014 at 13:35 »
Why not fit a sealed bearing?  All the details are in the Spannerama book.
Neville heath

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 07 Aug 2014 at 13:46 »
Collin,

It has been over twenty-five years since I was into the final drive of my Mark 3, but as I recall the felt seal was entirely behind the flange of the hollow shaft. And the Maintenance Manual implies as much. So yes the final drive housing needs to come off the transmission case. At that point it will look more like the figure on page 52 of the Maintenance Manual, as you will have already removed the sprocket an shock absorber. I do not believe the draw bolt can be removed, but it can be left in-situ and taken out once the housing is removed from the case.

Once you remove the bevel gear, the hollow shaft is easy enough to remove. You do not need to disturb the bearing. Then replace the felt or use a lip seal as Neville suggests.

One point of note. When removing the final drive housing, take care to preserve any shims between it and the gear case. These set the mesh of the final drive gear. They are often peel-able brass shim stock, and so can be fragile and prone to distortion. If you put the shims back as you found them, you will not have to go through the exercise of setting the depth of mesh.

-Doug

[Fix typo. 07Aug14, -Doug]
« Last Edit: 08 Aug 2014 at 02:20 by Doug »

Offline dalgrae

« Reply #5 on: 07 Aug 2014 at 14:10 »
As you both said so thanks,I have decided to leave it as is because the housing and bevel gear do not clear the swing arm so as this is far too much work I will leave as is and top up gear box a/r for the time being,unless it gets a lot worse

Regards. Colin