Author Topic: CW Clutch Mechanism  (Read 5746 times)

Offline McKaige

CW Clutch Mechanism
« on: 30 Jun 2014 at 07:06 »
 Greetings,
 I'm trying to come to terms with the clutch mechanism on my CW.
Could someone please let me know the correct procedure for reassembly or is there and documentation about on reassembly.
I'm not quite sure what role the slightly flanged plate plays and where it fits in the scheme of things. My clutch was seized but have manage to free things up and  replaced the linings. When it came apart I wasn't expecting balls to go everywhere and four springs ending up under the workbench!
Cheers
Chester McKaige :oops.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: CW Clutch Mechanism
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jun 2014 at 22:00 »
Chester,

The indicated washer spans the face of the backing plate with the lip facing outward. It gives a surface for the inboard end of the clutch springs to sit upon. the slight lip prevents the ends of the springs from working their way outward due to centrifugal force and possible binding in the holes where they pass through the flywheel.

There are probably some section views of the CW/SW clutch about. All the ones I have seem to be of the slightly later EW style. There are other pictures of CW/SW clutch components shown here on the Forum, but all fully disassembled, such as yours.

-Doug

Offline McKaige

« Reply #2 on: 01 Jul 2014 at 06:28 »
Thanks Doug and Ian for putting me right in regards to the offending lipped washer. I have located its correct home and all is good again. The funny thing was that it fell on the ground after I had extracted the flywheel off its shaft so it was definitely in the wrong place that caused much head scratching trying to work out how it could possibly do anything in the position that it was in. Just goes to show how wonderful these Forums are for silly old buggers like me!!!
Cheers
C

Offline Alan

« Reply #3 on: 01 Jul 2014 at 23:08 »
Chester...I would recommend purchasing from the LDMCC a manual entitled ( on the front page).....
The Handbook of the Douglas Motor Cycle    ( bottom left) 2 ¾ HP..

About 27 pages and has a detailed section on the use, assembly and maintenance of the flywheel clutch...

Offline Hutch

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 04 Jul 2014 at 00:09 »
Section view of the flywheel clutch from page 58 of the 1925 "The Handbook of the Douglas Motorcycle 2 3/4 H.P". If you need the text to go with it Chester, please PM me.

Cheers

ian

Offline oil baron

« Reply #5 on: 07 Jul 2014 at 03:52 »
If you are intersted a copy of the same manual can be viewed on the barnstormers.co.nz site
Cheers SteveL
Steve L

Offline McKaige

« Reply #6 on: 07 Jul 2014 at 04:38 »
Thank you all. Everything now sorted.
Cheers