Author Topic: TS Beaded Edge Rims  (Read 1170 times)

Offline Marcus

TS Beaded Edge Rims
« on: 17 Feb 2022 at 03:12 »
Hi,
I am looking to get some new rims for my TS project as I don't have anything at the moment. I believe they should be 26" x 2 1/2" as per the sketch below.
Could someone who knows, confirm this please.

Thanks

Marcus

Offline graeme

• Master Member
Re: TS Beaded Edge Rims
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2022 at 06:35 »
Hi Marcus

As far as I am aware the TS Douggies all had BE rims of the Wedgewood pattern, ie there is a central hump in the rims where the spokes attach. I am willing to be corrected on this though, perhaps the later TS models had the rims as you have pictured.

Cheers, Graeme

Offline Marcus

« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2022 at 07:01 »
Thanks Graeme,

Both types are available but as I don't have any to start with I just want to make sure I get the correct ones. Here is a sketch of the Westwood type.

Marcus

Offline graeme

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2022 at 09:43 »
Damned autocorrect - of course I meant Westwood  :| Yes this is the type of rim that I think Douglases had fitted up until at least 1924

Offline Alan

« Reply #4 on: 18 Feb 2022 at 01:45 »
My TS had the B1 which were original to the bike and correct, whereas my CW has the B2 shape, believed to be correct only for the CW.

Offline cardan

• Master Member
    • Leon's Vintage Motorcycle Page
« Reply #5 on: 19 Feb 2022 at 08:04 »
I think Graeme and Alan are on the money - certainly most TS Douglases used 26 x2 1/2" Westwood rims. Maybe some of the very last machines might have used a 26 x 2 1/2 flat-base rim.

Just a note about CW rims. As Alan points out some/all CWs used flat base rims. I think I'm right in saying these were for 26 x 2 1/2 tyres, so the rims would be about 22" diameter. Modern 26 x 2 1/2" tryes fit these rims just fine. I've just noticed a "CW" rim advertised on ebay Australia, but it is described as 20" diameter. That would make it EW, and as discussed many times on this forum finding tyres to fit original EW rims is problematic. (Original 25 x3  tyres are not available, 24 x 2 1/4 tryes are pretty narrow and hard, and 26 x 3 tyres are too big to safely fit on the rim.)

So just a reminder to wave a tape at any rim you're considering. To fit a 26 x 2 1/2" tyre the rim should be 22" diameter, or just over, Westwood or flat base. Stay away from 21" BE rims, another size with no correct modern tyre to suit.

Cheers

Leon

Offline Marcus

« Reply #6 on: 19 Feb 2022 at 16:06 »
Leon, Graeme ans Alan,

Thank you very much for this information. Since starting the post I have been offered an original TS wheel so now I have a much better idea about what to look for and if I still need to get a new rim to build up  a new wheel for the other one I can check the size with the rim manufacturer.

Thanks again
Marcus