Author Topic: VALVE SPRINGS FOR T6  (Read 2831 times)

Offline DSIM

VALVE SPRINGS FOR T6
« on: 12 Aug 2013 at 21:04 »
Can anyone help with information on the correct dimensions for the T6 valve springs ?

That is;  Spring rate, number of active coils, wire diameter, OD of coils and free length.

I did purchase some springs through the LDMCC spares but have found them by design needing  over double the force required to open the valves compared to the ones originally fitted. Not good for the timing gear train and cams, or easy starting.

I would like to know if the originals were the correct size springs.

ChrisS

Offline ManfrerdSt

Re: VALVE SPRINGS FOR T6
« Reply #1 on: 09 Oct 2014 at 07:55 »
Hello ChrisS,

did you get further into the matter with the valve springs?
I have the same problem as you with the springs.

Regards
     Manfred

Offline DSIM

Re: VALVE SPRINGS FOR T6
« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2014 at 13:20 »
Manfred,
I didn't get any additional information, apart from confirmation that the springs supplied by the club are correct. However I found these springs very difficult to install and this leads me to still think they are not right so I put the original springs back in even though they were not equal lengths when unloaded.
However the engine went from being very difficult to start and very noisy in the valve gear, to being almost an easy starter and much quieter running. I think that the additional spring force with the new springs used all the energy provided by the kick starter and meant the engine did not turn over fast enough to generate  a good spark also the followers were pushing the cams forward when on the closing ramp rattling the gears
The T6 is after all a low powered side valve and so a small delay in valve closure probably affects nothing

ChrisS