Author Topic: DT or what  (Read 5779 times)

Offline bmwmyplace

DT or what
« on: 07 Apr 2013 at 08:08 »
Ger' Day one and all .  I logged in here a few years ago... unfortunately I got distracted by a H8 AJS and a couple of BMWs plus two three wheelers....

I  asked questions about my frame TF 1199D gear box YG 1084  Eng EL1269  plus the letters on the other side STD.  It has a small  Air Box .  the information I received was put into a special file of course  but that was several computers ago , now it seems all is gone, not the file the info. The new system is windows 7 the old one windows 95 :shock: So I apologize to those who went out of their way to assist me, as I need to ask the same questions again.

What do I have ?  from whom can I buy steal information from that would help me to complete the restoration.  I have two forged steel foot pegs alas no lugs at all to put them onto...  It dosent look like they have ever been  fitted either.  Doug kindly sent me a DWG of a lug , alas it is no more sorry Doug.... The  Frame is black ( arent they all) but there is silver underneath, and no other layers of paint  what colour should it have been

I have a bucket load of questions thanks in advance kind regards Peter

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: DT or what
« Reply #1 on: 08 Apr 2013 at 00:43 »
Peter,

For those questions that you asked here on the Forum, you can review your old posts. The easiest way is to go to your account Profile, and select the option on the left hand side to 'show posts'. All those questions and answers from ages ago are still there, even if you have turned over a few computers in the meantime!

Frames were black originally, except for the specially tuned Red Devil models One guess as to frame color). Not sure why there is silver underneath against the metal on your frame.

I have seen "HC" stamped on engines on the other side of the magneto to the serial number. Common opinion is that it stands for an optional High Compression motor. "STD" generally denotes shorthand for Standard in the engineering world, but why bother marking something that is standard? Peculiar.

-Doug

Offline bmwmyplace

« Reply #2 on: 08 Apr 2013 at 07:50 »
Doug thanks to you I found those pics you sent me of the foot rest lugs, I tried to search them out prior but failed.

I have just taken some pics of my bits  to share  and to find out what they are.  My forks  appear to have the pivot/ stay and cable adjuster for the brake plate.  But as can be seen the hub is too short with our stretching the forks apart somewhat.

Which brake drums  should be used , the plain steel or the ribbed one .  Which is better?

Are the att pics the correct style of foot rests, also has anyone a DWG for the splines?

My seat is a Dunlop drilastic, could this be correct for 1929,  If it should be different what would be correct , and dose anyone have a picture of one  cheers peter

« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2013 at 01:58 by Dave »

Offline bmwmyplace

« Reply #3 on: 08 Apr 2013 at 07:57 »
Ok it seems some of the picks didnt come through try again

« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2013 at 01:59 by Dave »

Offline bmwmyplace

« Reply #4 on: 08 Apr 2013 at 07:59 »
So gents why cant I post more than one pic at a time cheers Peter

« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2013 at 02:00 by Dave »

Offline cardan

• Master Member
    • Leon's Vintage Motorcycle Page
« Reply #5 on: 09 Apr 2013 at 06:42 »

Hi Peter,

"My forks  appear to have the pivot/ stay and cable adjuster for the brake plate.  But as can be seen the hub is too short with our stretching the forks apart somewhat."

The hub is too short, or too long? I'd like to see the picture as I'm fiddling with trying to get a braked front wheel into a set of DT forks.

Thanks

Leon

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: 09 Apr 2013 at 07:24 »
Peter,
          I can't help with a drawing of the footrest splines, but the drawing I have for the whole frame shows the same serrated lug (part no 7393) for the footrests and the pivot for the hand gearchange lever (that's probably still in tact on your frame and may provide a pattern to work from).

Regards,
                 Eddie.

Offline bmwmyplace

« Reply #7 on: 09 Apr 2013 at 08:20 »
Eddie thats a really good tip thank you,

Leon yes the hub is too long the distance between the forks is 5"& 9/16ths  :?

I have noticed that my hub is bent like a banana so I may have to make another one yet .. I pulled all the rubber off the foot rest today and noticed that one seems correct , but not the right shape and the splines are  worn, thats ok I can make new splines and silver solder them on... one of the foot rests have been shortened but still might be salvageable .... so now the fun begins  kind regards peter

Offline bmwmyplace

« Reply #8 on: 09 Apr 2013 at 08:46 »
Leon sorry got that wrong, never did cope with those funny numbers even at school.... width between forks 143.5mm  or 5.629 inches  what ever that is cheers peter

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 09 Apr 2013 at 22:27 »
Peter,

In reply to your question,

Quote from: bmwmyplace
So gents why cant I post more than one pic at a time cheers Peter

After adding your first attachment, click on the link immediately below titled "(more attachments)".

This will open a new attachment window and you can keep repeating this exercise to add multiple attachments.

Today, the number of possible attachments has been increased from 5 to 10 to reduce the number of posts you may need to make.

Dave

Offline bmwmyplace

« Reply #10 on: 09 Apr 2013 at 22:58 »
David thank you very much for your reply, can anyone tell me which is the correct flywheel kind regards Peter

« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2013 at 02:02 by Dave »