Author Topic: tyres for EW 1926  (Read 7778 times)

Offline arturro

tyres for EW 1926
« on: 11 Mar 2013 at 22:11 »
Dear All
I have Douglas EW from 1926 in unrestored condition. I need for this bike new tyres. Now I have old Dunlop beaded edge tyres in 25x3 size. I can't find this size anywhere.  Can you tell me that is correst size for this model? What about 26X3 size for this model? It will be correct? I will be grateful for any answers. Best regards for All
 Artur

Offline oily bloke

Re: tyres for EW 1926
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2013 at 07:01 »
Hi Artur,
The 25 inch rims you have are correct and standard but the tyres are no longer available and have not been available for years. I went down the same road a few years ago with my EW. Your only course of action is to rebuild the wheels with 26 inch rims so you can fit the available 26 inch BE tyres.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Good luck.
Andy.

Offline arturro

« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2013 at 12:12 »
Dear Andy Thank you for your answer. Can you tell me where I can find 26 inch rims? fo EW Douglas ?.

I will be grateful for answer. Best regards Artur

Offline oily bloke

« Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2013 at 17:36 »
Hi Artur
I got the rims from these guys;

http://www.richards-bros.com/index.html

Not cheap but good old fashioned service.
Cheers

Offline arturro

« Reply #4 on: 12 Mar 2013 at 22:13 »
Dear Andy
Thank you for information. It means that I have to buy rims.  last question:
In EW manual I found inforamtion  that the standard rims 24" X 2 1/4" will take the following tyre sizes:
 24" X 2 1/4"  , 24" X 2 1/2" for 2 1/4" 25"x3"  My question is: Can I use this tyre size  24" X 2 1/4" which are available? to my EW?  I want to keep bike in unrestored and orginall conditions as well.
 I will be grateful for answer.
Best regards Artur. 

Offline cardan

• Master Member
    • Leon's Vintage Motorcycle Page
« Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2013 at 23:02 »

Hi Artur,

Yes a 24 x 2 1/4 will fit, but looks very undersize for a vintage bike and will give a rather harsh ride. I had a couple of old 25 x 3 tyres (made in Australia!) and they were labelled "25 x 3 to fit 24 x 2 1/4 rim".

If you look back, this issue has been discussed before on this forum. The "problem" is that the EW rims are very similar in diameter to a 26x3 rim, but are narrower. A 26x3 tyre will probably fit on EW rim, but is it safe to use? I don't know the answer. Some manufacturers used safety bolts to fix the tyre to the rim (even on BE tyres) - perhaps this could be a safe option? I suspect Andy is right, and that 26 x 3 rims might be the best and safest way to go.

Leon

Offline tck

• old racer
« Reply #6 on: 13 Mar 2013 at 07:50 »
I dont think I can ever get to like the smaller thinner tyres on my EW now I have seen pictures of those big ballon tyres  they used to have, especially with white walls.

Offline cardan

• Master Member
« Reply #7 on: 13 Mar 2013 at 09:56 »

I have a 1908 (non-Douglas) bike with the same size rims. The original tyres were 2 3/4" "balloon" tyres. I hate the look of it on 24x2 1/4 tyres too!
But other than me and EW owners, there would be very little market for 25x3 tyres, so don't hold your breath for anyone to start making them.

Leon

Offline Chris

• Master Member
« Reply #8 on: 13 Mar 2013 at 10:34 »
Hi All
    The problem of tyres for the EW has been around and discussed at length in the past. Before the health and safety bandwagon, some tyre distributors did recommend 26" x 3" tyres and I have no doubt that many machines are still riding around on these but when it became clear that those offering such advice would become responsible in law for any accidents occurring as a result of their advice they all changed their tune. The 25" x 3" (balloon) tyre was also fitted as an optional extra on some CW models prior to the introduction of the EW and indeed my machine came to me with these rims. One original tyre was exposing the canvas and the other presumably even worse had been changed for the 24" x 2.1/4" tyre which looked ridiculous with those large flared mudguards. I rebuilt the wheels with new rims to suit the available 26" x 2.1/2" tyres which were original as most of the CWs had these as standard. In respect of the EW, bearing in mind that a good one is capable of nearly 70 mph, a number of owners worried about riding on "Rickshaw" tyres at these speeds and faced with rebuilding their wheels opted for wired tyres on WM1 BSA Bantam Rims. Not very original but certainly safe and with a good variety of quality tyres available. They certainly look a lot better than original rims with 24" x 2.1/4" tyres. Chris 

Offline cardan

• Master Member
« Reply #9 on: 13 Mar 2013 at 22:42 »

Hi Artur,
In your original post you say that the bike is in unrestored condition. If you are not going to restore it (i.e. new paint and plating), a good option might be just to get a pair of the widest 24x2 1/4 tyres you can find (Durandal, Ensign, Dunlop... ask how wide they really are when on a rim and inflated), put them on, and enjoy the ride! It would be a pity to change the rims if the rest of the bike is in original condition. How about a photo of the bike?
Cheers
Leon

Offline arturro

« Reply #10 on: 14 Mar 2013 at 07:48 »
Dear Leon
In Poland we say  "this is what you say is honey for my hart"  You are right I have the same idea. It is shame for me to change bike specification if bike is in the same condition over 80 years.  Please look at the photo and bike condition.
Thank you for all member's  answers I will stay with orginal rims. maby some day we will find correct 25x3 tyres for our Douglases.
Best regards Artur

Larger view
« Last Edit: 24 May 2013 at 21:00 by Dave »

Offline cardan

• Master Member
« Reply #11 on: 14 Mar 2013 at 08:39 »

Beautiful, Artur. Enjoy it as it is.

Leon