Author Topic: Barn find  (Read 4841 times)

Offline willhall

Barn find
« on: 18 Oct 2012 at 13:11 »
Hello to you all,I have recently discovered an early Douglas,frame and tank,this was uncovered in an old house in co cork Ireland,I have established that the bike may possibly be a 1914/15 600cc model,mainly by using your site to spot the D section double front frame.I will try and add some pics,Can anyone help me locate where the frame number should be?The previous owner still believes that the rest of the bike is on the property.So the two of us are going searching next week.If we are unable to locate anything,what are the chances of finding parts,as in engine front forks wheels etc.?If not has this frame and tank got any value as is?Thankyou all in advance Bill 

Offline David Lawrence

Re: Barn find
« Reply #1 on: 18 Oct 2012 at 19:24 »
Hi Bill,
I think you are probably close to the truth with your thoughts about the frame, the frame number should be found on or very near the rear frame lug just above the gearbox. I am sure you will get a more definite identification before too long from other members of the forum.
The frame is always useful to somebody, however please make a thorough search, if the rest of the major componants do exist and are in as good a condition as the frame appears to be the bike would make a good restoration project.
If you find the frame number please publish it and we will be in a position to give a more definite identification.
Dave

Offline willhall

« Reply #2 on: 18 Oct 2012 at 20:08 »
Thankyou very much Dave,I will examine that part of the frame tomorrow,and let you know the number if i can find it,I do hope to retrieve more parts next week,I would love to get it back together,I am a bike enthusiast ,and have a velocette,and a Bsa.But i have to say,It gives you shivers up your spine to discover a bike,That was built nearly 100 years ago and has survived,albeit not completely together.
many thanks Bill 

Offline oil baron

« Reply #3 on: 19 Oct 2012 at 03:14 »
If it is a 3 1/2 hp or 4 hp, there will be no lug for the gearbox. The gearbox fits on a dovetail on the back of the engine sump.  My 3 1/2 hp frame has the frame number stamped on the rear engine mount on the left hand side.

Best of luck finding the rest of it

Regards SteveL
Steve L

Offline oil baron

« Reply #4 on: 19 Oct 2012 at 04:23 »
Hi Again

Just located the photos.  It was fitted with a 3 speed gearbox.  I would have thought the 3 panel tank and the braced headstock would put the machine at pre mid 1916.  I think it was in the first half of 1915 when the 4 hp was announced, and I believe that the 3 speed gearbox introduced at the same time.  I don't know if any 3 1/2 hp machines were fitted with the 3 speed box from new, but it is possible as Mr Douglas may have fitted some just to help clear the remaining machines in stock, which were unlikely to taken up for War Department contracts.
Regards  Steve.L
Steve L

Offline graeme

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: 19 Oct 2012 at 10:31 »
Hello Bill
I own a 1914 3 1/2hp machine with a 3 speed box fitted. It has always had a sidecar attached as far as I know, and I am pretty confident the 3 speed box was fitted as an option from new.
As Steve said, you will find the frame number on both engine mount lugs on the left hand side of the frame. I am certainly interested to hear what the number is - anything under 2100 or so is 1914.
Cheers, Graeme

Offline willhall

« Reply #6 on: 19 Oct 2012 at 10:37 »
Hello steve.
      It was right where you said it would be.2165.To me that puts it at about 1915/16.would you think i am right in assuming that it is a 600cc version?.If i am unable to locate any more parts belonging to it.What do you think my chances of locating an engine/gearbox/wheels and forks are?
   Thankyou to steve and dave for your help

« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2012 at 18:26 by Dave »