Author Topic: clutch missing parts & installation  (Read 8499 times)

Offline glenn

clutch missing parts & installation
« on: 14 Mar 2005 at 00:35 »
Hi I am restoring a 1924 douglas (2 speed gearbox) and I think some parts are missing. If you have any detailed layouts on this clutch and how it works I would love to hear from you. I have posted some photos of the parts I have.

edited by dave, 14/03/05, to show photos in post.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
clutch missing parts & installation
« Reply #1 on: 17 Mar 2005 at 23:50 »

Looks like you have the majority of the pieces.  You are missing the clutch throw out arm ‘B’, (you have the fixed portion ‘A’), and a drive dog ‘C’.  The thrust bearing on these early plate clutches seem to be just loose and crowded bearing balls (see cut-away illustration below) and served as a combined radial and thrust bearing.

The next version of the flywheel clutch (model EW) had a proper ball thrust bearing unit with a cage that held all the bearing balls and is the type more commonly seen, and a independent radial bearing.  Also it looks as if your one remaining clutch spring is distorted; you should get six new ones from the London Douglas Motor Cycle Club.  

The large ring with the four notches around the edge threads onto the hub of the shock absorbing sprocket, transmission input ‘D’.

-Doug

Offline Daren W Australia

• Master Member
lever
« Reply #2 on: 22 Apr 2005 at 10:15 »
Hi I have an ew lever similar to what you are missing can send you a photo or come and have a look if you are in Sydney Regards Daren
too many dougli not enough time!