Author Topic: TS Drive Pulley  (Read 8529 times)

Offline ssellar

TS Drive Pulley
« on: 03 Jul 2012 at 11:40 »
Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me out by telling me if the pulleys shown below are off a TS model.
The one on the right seems to be modified to suit a TS. If anybody can enlighten me on the origins of either pulley would you please educate me.
Any suggestions would be of help because i'm about to start manufacturing a batch of pulleys that are nickel plated to suit a TS but would like to make sure of the correct one to reproduce.
If anybody is interested in one please let me know. They will be made from k1045 round bar and not cast like the original.
regards
Stephen

« Last Edit: 11 Jul 2012 at 21:25 by Dave »

Offline chris mac

Re: TS Drive Pulley
« Reply #1 on: 05 Jul 2012 at 02:31 »
Put me down for one
Chris Mac
jpmac@earthlink.net

Offline graeme

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 06 Jul 2012 at 11:46 »
Stephen,
I'm a little confused here - is the lower photo the same two pulleys turned over? Certainly to me both pulleys look to be of Douglas origin. Alan we need your input!
I am certainly interested in a pulley suitable for a veteran (1914) 2 3/4hp.
Cheers, Graeme

Offline ssellar

« Reply #3 on: 07 Jul 2012 at 07:26 »
Graeme,

Thanks for your input and yes the bottom photo shows the same pulleys turned over - the top photo shows the inside face and the bottom photo shows the outside face.

In both photos, the one on the left is a nickel plated pulley off my TS (clutchless and no kickstart).

The right hand pulley is also a Douglas pulley but I'm unsure of its origins.

Did Douglas use the same pulley on both clutch and clutchless gearboxes for the TS?

Is the veteran pulley you are interested in, the same as either of those in the photos?

Cheers,
Stephen

« Last Edit: 11 Jul 2012 at 21:26 by Dave »

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 07 Jul 2012 at 09:05 »
Hello All,

Not sure when the change came about but my 14 and 17 models have a chain wheel size of just over 5 inches and take a 1/2 link chain. Going across to the other side is a belt pulley which on my bikes is only 5 inches outer diameter.

Now not sure when but the TS chain sprocket is around 6 1/2 inches with a chain link of 5/8 I am talking about the basic TS and not gearbox clutch or flywheel clutch models. The output pulley will be then 6 inch outer dia as shown in the pics above for all after and including around 1920 .

And yes as I have previously mentioned if you want to fit an endless belt C78 section. If you fit a half link in your primary chain the fit is A1.

Hope this is of some use .

regards Alan
« Last Edit: 07 Jul 2012 at 09:44 by Alan Cun »

Offline graeme

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: 15 Jul 2012 at 11:03 »
Thanks Alan for those details.
So Stephen, it looks like I need a 5" pulley - not what you have unfortunately. I guess I could use a TS pulley, but the geraing would obviously be higher. I'll try to borow a veteran pulley to get that copied.
Cheers, Graeme

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: 27 Sep 2012 at 08:04 »
Stephen, have you made a batch of these yet ? My TS just broke its pulley on the Douglas Rally - so am in need of one !! We will make if you have not already

Offline ssellar

« Reply #7 on: 27 Sep 2012 at 09:16 »
Ian,

I'm about two thirds through this batch of pulleys at this stage. I'll post some photos up tomorrow to show you the progress. I don't have any finished as yet.

I'd like to confirm drive shaft taper angle before I send them to the platers. does anyone have a definite angle? I have just matched it to my drive shaft which is in pretty good nick!
I would hope they would be at the platers in the next couple of weeks so if this is not suitable to you , go right ahead and make it. No problem

Cheers
Stephen

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #8 on: 27 Sep 2012 at 20:59 »
Stephen, I can wait ! Just wanted to know if you were going ahead.

Offline ssellar

« Reply #9 on: 29 Sep 2012 at 07:48 »
Here are some progress photos of the TS pulleys I'm making. Any comments would be welcome.

Regards
Stephen

« Last Edit: 11 Oct 2012 at 02:39 by Dave »

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 30 Sep 2012 at 05:04 »
Stephen,

Wow, you need to beat that with a length of old roller chain to distress it; it looks too new!  :)

-Doug

Offline ssellar

« Reply #11 on: 01 Nov 2012 at 04:27 »
Yes I've finally finished. please see photos and details in Douglas motorcycles and parts for sale.

Thanks for all your interest so far.

Now back to my kickstart ratchet gear assembly. Sorry Rick!!

Cheers
Stephen