Author Topic: Douglas Mk5 Exhaust  (Read 4827 times)

Offline chrishoddo

Douglas Mk5 Exhaust
« on: 02 Feb 2012 at 08:44 »
Hi,  I am new to this forum just purchased a Mk5 1951 (returning to model after having one 40 years ago). Bike is in need of restoration which I have now started.

One problem I have encountered is how do the exhausts (chuffer box type) attach to the cylinder head. There are no fastening bolts or retaining rings, as far as I can see they just push in. I am reluctant to use force to remove until I understand how they are retained.

Can anyone give me some pointers.

Thanks

Chris (Lancaster, Lancs)

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: Douglas Mk5 Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: 02 Feb 2012 at 08:53 »
Hi Chris,
            As you say, the exhaust pipes are a push fit in the cylinderheads and the waffle box silencer. Just a single bolt into a lug on the side of the bottom frame rail holds each pipe in place.
         Regards,
                       Eddie.

Offline chrishoddo

« Reply #2 on: 02 Feb 2012 at 08:56 »
Thanks Eddie - appreciate quick reply

Chris

Offline Reg

« Reply #3 on: 03 Feb 2012 at 18:45 »
Hi Chris,

Further to what Eddie has said regarding fastening of the exhaust pipes be aware which I am sure you are, that the silencer itself needs to be secured to the bottom frame rails. This is by means of two support clips for the silencer which are attached to the 5/16"BSF studs located on top of the silencer itself on both sides. The support clips differ in length and from past experience when offering up the assembly of pipes and silencer is to make sure it is done first of all in a loosely assembled state. You are then able to position everything first before tightening the fasteners and determining the sides the clips fit to. The 'woffle box' silencer with its short exhaust pipes was first introduced to the T35 or Mark 1 model and subsequently as original equipment for the standard Mark 3 and Mark 4 models. It was available as an optional extra or alternative fitment for the Mark 5 model. The one thing I would reccommend to any owner undertaking a restoration is to have a very close study of the Illustrated Parts List for Douglas Motor Cycles 1946-151. Although the exploded diagrams relate to the Mark 5, study of the Part Numbers and Description of Items relating to the other earlier models is a very worthwhile exercise.

Reg.

Offline chrishoddo

« Reply #4 on: 04 Feb 2012 at 08:58 »
Thanks Reg

You have answered another query - that of why is there a waffle box sometimes and more comonly straight through exhausts. My first Mk5 had a waffle and I wanted to replace it with the same but found that most Mk5s have straight through. Luckily I have inherited loads of paperwork including manuals with the bike so are pooring over the diags as you suggest.

Thanks

Chris