Author Topic: Mk5 gearbox  (Read 3347 times)

Offline eden1941

Mk5 gearbox
« on: 01 Sep 2011 at 15:41 »
Hello,my Mk5 is leaking oil out of the clutch housing.I have replaced the crankshaft seal so presume its coming from the gearbox.I understand there is a felt seal on the mainshaft.How do you get at it to replace it.All suggestions welcomed!Cheers Mick.

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: Mk5 gearbox
« Reply #1 on: 01 Sep 2011 at 19:29 »
Mick,
        Before dismantling the gearbox, check that the breather hole in the filler plug is not blocked. If any oil is getting past the felt seal, it then hits a spinner that deposits it in an annular groove from where it drains back to the front layshaft bearing. It is unlikely that any will escape into the bellhousing - unless the breather is blocked.
      If you do have to replace the felt seal, you will have to remove the gearbox front plate and then dismantle the input shaft and bearing assembly to get access to the seal. With the front plate removed, undo the coupling retaining nut a couple of turns, then carefully squeeze the coupling in the vice - work your way around the coupling until it comes free from the taper.
     Before going to this trouble, I would double check whether the escaping oil is from the gearbox or engine. Although you have replaced the seal, the oil can still seep out from betwen the crankcase and the clutch release spigot unless some sort of sealant has been used. Poorly fitted plugs in the rear of the camshaft housings have also been known to leak - giving the same symptoms.
     Hope this is of some help,
                    Regards,
                                  Eddie.

Offline eden1941

Re: Mk5 gearbox
« Reply #2 on: 03 Sep 2011 at 11:47 »
Thanks Eddie for your suggestions,there might be a pressure problem as the oil poured out about 10 mins after start up and I cant see a hole in the cap.However,I have now to remove the gearbox as the woodruff key on the kickstart shaft has just sheared,again.Oh joy! Cheers Mick.