Author Topic: Where should the frame number be ?  (Read 5529 times)

Offline phil_h

Where should the frame number be ?
« on: 24 Aug 2009 at 18:02 »
I've just had a letter from the dvla saying that they have a discrepancy between what was quoted on the latest mot and what they have on record.
All the old mots have frame number 'not found', and the buff log book has the frame number th same as the engine number.
The pioneer certificate has another number though - the one that has been quoted on the latest mot !

Its a '13, so can someone please point me in the right direction, as I cant find anything.

regards
phil

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: Where should the frame number be ?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2009 at 00:31 »
Phil,

The frame numbers for the 2-3/4hp series is on the left hand side of the lug that the gearbox mounts to.

-Doug

Offline phil_h

« Reply #2 on: 25 Aug 2009 at 09:59 »
ok, gearbox mounting lug inspected - and its low down on the right hand side, but at least I've found the number !
Thanks very much.
Unfortunately the dvla will not be happy as its different to the one on the v5 (and the buff book), which is the same as the engine number.
Anyone got any experience with that ?

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 25 Aug 2009 at 12:08 »
Phil,

No experience with the DVLA, but they are probably much like the DOT in the US so you have my deepest sympathy for the challenge ahead. Douglas did not stamp the same number on the engine and the frame until about 1938 or so. Engines were made in batches (as were transmissions) and then assembled up into the next available frame.

I am curious that you frame is stamped on the right-hand side of the gearbox lug. I wonder if anyone else has one stamped on the right, if it is just an abberation, or if there is a obscured original number on the left?

-Doug

Offline Chris

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 26 Aug 2009 at 14:39 »
Hi Phil and Doug
    All of my 2.3/4hp machines except the 1910 model have the frame number stamped on the right hand side of the gearbox lug. The early models had their frame number stamped in circular fashion around the rear wheel spindle also on the right hand side. There are small marks on my frame that are indistinguishable so with the frame number of several others listed as "none", "none found" in the LDMCC Machine Register, my 1910 is listed "unknown". Chris.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 01 Sep 2009 at 19:59 »
Chris,

I will have to update the Identifying Douglas Models chart, as I have it down there incorrectly as the left-hand side.

-Doug