Author Topic: 1930S6 speedo drive  (Read 4863 times)

Offline Michael Scott

• Born again motorcyclist.
1930S6 speedo drive
« on: 02 Feb 2009 at 15:39 »
My restoration of a 1930S6 from an 80% pile of rusty bits to a rode and restore state is now waiting for transfer to a rolling road to get toe poil round and hopefuly start

Now to detail.  I have the gear to attach to wheel and the speedo gearbox to drive the cable but no obvious way to mount it.
Ideas welcomed.  Presumably I am missing some bits
Michael

« Last Edit: 02 Feb 2009 at 21:30 by Dave »

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: 1930S6 speedo drive
« Reply #1 on: 02 Feb 2009 at 18:35 »
Michael,
              This looks like a proprietary universal speedo drive to fit a multitude of machines. The large gear is normally clamped to the spokes and the right angle drive box fits on a bracket that goes onto the wheel spindle. The fittings would have varied depending on the machine to which it was fitted.
           In 1930, Douglas produced their own speedo drive gearbox that fitted to the end of the hub. It had totally enclosed gears and fitted in place of the normal dust cover. From memory, I think the ratio was 29/10.
                                         Regards,
                                                  Eddie.

Offline Chris

• Master Member
Re: 1930S6 speedo drive
« Reply #2 on: 03 Feb 2009 at 09:42 »
Hi Michael
    The LDMCC Pre-war Spares Scheme has replica speedo drive gearboxes that fit on the end of the hub in place of the dustcap as described by Eddie. It comprises an alloy casting housing a precision made worm gear mounted in ball races and a matching helical wheel. They also have the matching brass nut for the speedo cable to connect to the gearbox. Access to spares is restricted to members of the LDMCC. Chris.