Author Topic: Mark 4 wiring diagram & centre stand spring  (Read 8318 times)

Offline Radiofree

Mark 4 wiring diagram & centre stand spring
« on: 02 Aug 2008 at 18:33 »
Hi
I am new to these bikes. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the Mk4 or Mk 5. My bike does not appear to have a kill button so want to wire one in.
Also I can't seem to get anything to do the job right on the centre stand, the spring is useless. I bought a handful and none of them seem to work. A lovely ali stand though!  :)
radiofree

Hi a big thanks to Eddy. I have also found JOHN's pdf that looks useful.
It appears my battery case and that area of the bile are a bit dodged so no lugs. I saw that someone said the parts book is available on PDF. Does anyone have this or is there a way to purchase it?
thanks, learning day by day, previously 1970s Brit biker!
doug
« Last Edit: 03 Aug 2008 at 12:14 by Radiofree »

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: Mark 4 wiring diagram & centre stand spring
« Reply #1 on: 02 Aug 2008 at 19:27 »
Hi,
     If you only need to wire in a kill button, you don't really need the full wiring diagram. The original kill button was identical to the horn button and was just wired direct to the points cover on the magdyno - it just killed the ignition by shorting it to earth. Regarding the spring for the centre stand - if you are a member they can be obtained from the LDMCC spares scheme. This spring attaches to a bolt screwed into a lug on the side of the stand to operate over centre so that it keeps the stand down as well as up. The fixed end of the spring attaches to a small lug on the back of the battery carrier. There is also a spring clip bolted to the front end of the back mudguard that also retains the stand in the 'up' position.
                                                Regards,
                                                             Eddie.

Offline Radiofree

« Reply #2 on: 03 Aug 2008 at 09:56 »
Eddie
thanks, this is really helpful. I am a club member as just registered so will but the springs.
Doug

[Remove quotation of prior post. -Doug, Site Moderator]
« Last Edit: 03 Aug 2008 at 13:42 by Doug »

Offline Radiofree

« Reply #3 on: 03 Aug 2008 at 12:15 »
please see modified first posting
thanks
Doug

[Remove quotation of prior post. -Doug, Site Moderator]
« Last Edit: 03 Aug 2008 at 13:42 by Doug »

Offline Daren W Australia

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 04 Aug 2008 at 05:56 »
Hi where are you I made some spare battery boxes if you need one Regards Daren
too many dougli not enough time!

Offline Radiofree

« Reply #5 on: 04 Aug 2008 at 07:01 »
Darren
thanks, but I am in the UK. I think I have found someone via the site that sells the parts book. Hopefully I can look and maybe sort something out. Also to look at what Eddie suggested about the clip from the rear guard to help hold the centre stand up. Being new to these bikes, I just cannot visualise it. Meanwhile ordered the centre stand spring from the club.
I like the bike, it is getting my head around it. Used the later parallel twins. I also got hold of a wiring diagram, so will check out that everything is wired properly, lots of bits of wire have been replaced and not very well, to say the least.
How much are the boxes and do you have any idea of the cost to post to UK?
cheers

Doug

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: 04 Aug 2008 at 11:49 »
Doug,
           LDMCC spares can also supply the correct battery carrier for your bike. The spring clip for the centre stand (also available from Club spares) utilises the front fixing for the mudguard - along with an adjacent bolt that prevents it turning (hence the two holes in the mudguard). The clip comes in two parts - the actual spring clip plus a backing strip. Regarding the wiring diagram: you will find that there are two diagrams for the Mark series machines - one for a negative earth system and one for positive - depending on year. Both diagrams are actually the same except for the reversed polarity of the battery.
                                          Regards,
                                                        Eddie.

Offline Radiofree

« Reply #7 on: 04 Aug 2008 at 12:14 »
Eddie
thanks. This helps me visualise the spring issue. I ordered the parts book today so I can see how all the bits are supposed to look.
I do like the bike, it is growing on my as my knowledge grows.
doug