Author Topic: Douglas four speed gear box  (Read 5498 times)

Offline Michael Scott

• Born again motorcyclist.
Douglas four speed gear box
« on: 02 Aug 2008 at 14:18 »
Dear All
Can any one help me find the right kick start spring for my four speed gear box?
The attached picture shows where I am at.  the current spring does not pull the quadrant back to the stop and rubs on the quadrant.
Michael

« Last Edit: 02 Aug 2008 at 22:41 by Dave »

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: Douglas four speed gear box
« Reply #1 on: 02 Aug 2008 at 16:36 »
The LDMCC should have these internal kick start lever return springs in the PreWar Spares department. You will need to tell them it is a 4-speed box for an S6, as there is a similar looking one for the 3-speed. You will need to be a Club member to use the Spares service.

Have you tried applying an extra turn or two of pre-tension to the spring? Or is it the width that is the problem?

-Doug

Offline Michael Scott

• Born again motorcyclist.
« Reply #2 on: 03 Aug 2008 at 10:23 »
Further thoughts and with "petrol head" son-in-law help I have solved the problem as per the attached photo.
Chris at LDMC has been of great help but he is learning about four speed boxes as well
Thanks
Michael

« Last Edit: 03 Aug 2008 at 22:18 by Dave »

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 03 Aug 2008 at 13:38 »
I did not notice that; the spring was anchored to the wrong stud!

-Doug

Offline ChrisS

« Reply #4 on: 04 Aug 2008 at 21:09 »
A word of warning regarding assembly, this applies to 3 speed boxes, but as the arrangement is very similar I expect it applies to the four speed box as well. When you fit the kick start lever make sure that it is in an almost horizontal position when at rest, otherwise you risk bursting the side out of the box cover when you kick start. If the lever is set too near the vertical, the swing will bring the quadrant HARD against the bolt that acts as the stop. I'm speaking from experience I learnt the hard way. You will see in the spares book, kick start group there are rubber buffers mounted on the two bolts, parts 7763 and 7764 these help but the position is very important, and if you look at the pictures say in Doug Frosts compilation you will see the correct postion.
Regards
ChrisS