Author Topic: model id / age help  (Read 5954 times)

Offline dreamer

model id / age help
« on: 07 Feb 2008 at 18:45 »
Hi
I have just recently purchased a old Douglas  the frame number is 39392 I'm hoping for confirmation that this number would place the age around 1918-1919 (a 2 3/4 hp)
Its a bitser and came with a couple of extra engines etc
any help would be great.
Cheers Kerry ( Auckland )

Offline Chris

• Master Member
Re: model id / age help
« Reply #1 on: 07 Feb 2008 at 21:35 »
Hi Kerry
   Frame No 39392 is listed in the LDMCC Machine Register linked with Engine No 26661 with a date of 1918.  No Registration Number is given with listing.  Chris

Offline dreamer

« Reply #2 on: 07 Feb 2008 at 22:00 »
Hi Kerry
   Frame No 39392 is listed in the LDMCC Machine Register linked with Engine No 26661 with a date of 1918.  No Registration Number is given with listing.  Chris

Wow
Thanks Chris,  I have that number on one of the engine "blocks"  I am about to send off an aplication to join the LDMCC  Did they give you any Idea of the model ?.

Offline Chris

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 08 Feb 2008 at 08:03 »
Hi Kerry
    The Machine Register only lists your frame number as a 2.3/4 hp sidevalve. You say what you have is a "bitsa". The parts you have may give some clue as the model. if not then you have a choice of model to which to rebuild it as there are no existing factory records of the original build standard of machines leaving the factory for pre-war models.
    To my knowledge there were three models available in 1918 namely Models U, V and W. . The model U had a two speed gearbox and footboards. Model V virtually identical with footpegs front and rear instead of footboards. Model W was the top of the range with a three speed gearbox and clutch. All were belt drive  and usually available with a choice of high or low handlebars. There were two distinct build standards prevalent however, as the new version with round tube forks, a larger diameter steering head frame and larger fuel tank was introduced in 1916 but the older lightweight oval tube forks with their smaller diameter steering head frame and the narrower smaller fuel tank continued in production in parallel until about 1919.
Regards   Chris.

Offline dreamer

« Reply #4 on: 10 Feb 2008 at 20:02 »
Hi Kerry
    The Machine Register only lists your frame number as a 2.3/4 hp sidevalve. You say what you have is a "bitsa". The parts you have may give some clue as the model. if not then you have a choice of model to which to rebuild it as there are no existing factory records of the original build standard of machines leaving the factory for pre-war models.
    To my knowledge there were three models available in 1918 namely Models U, V and W. . The model U had a two speed gearbox and footboards. Model V virtually identical with footpegs front and rear instead of footboards. Model W was the top of the range with a three speed gearbox and clutch. All were belt drive  and usually available with a choice of high or low handlebars. There were two distinct build standards prevalent however, as the new version with round tube forks, a larger diameter steering head frame and larger fuel tank was introduced in 1916 but the older lightweight oval tube forks with their smaller diameter steering head frame and the narrower smaller fuel tank continued in production in parallel until about 1919.
Regards   Chris.

Hi Chris
Thanks for the information, I'm picking its a Model U. I met a chap from the LDMCC at the Pukekohe classic bike race meet on saturday ( wow) he told me about the forks as well ( I was to take the bike to him on sunday but ......... work e.t.c. prevented this)  Thanks for your help & sorry about the cricket result.
cheers Kerry.

« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2008 at 20:24 by Dave »