Author Topic: Help me find a bike!!!  (Read 5803 times)

Offline reggiepink

Help me find a bike!!!
« on: 12 Dec 2007 at 21:08 »
I have been looking for a 1928 Douglas DT possibly in the USA. My grandfather used to import and race them. Im not looking for a  restored bike but not a disaster either. Something running or in need of some work. Any help I would be grateful. thanks. Jay

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: Help me find a bike!!!
« Reply #1 on: 14 Dec 2007 at 20:23 »
Jay,

DT/SW models do come up for sale from time to time, but they fetch a fair bit of money as they are one of the more sought after prewar Douglas models. There were a few sold at the Bohnam’s auction at the Stafford Show, Oct 2007 (results via their website.) And there is usually about one per year that turns up on eBay.

Mike Smith (now deceased) had one of Fay Taylour’s 1929 DTs is doing the rounds at the American AMCA meets for about $30K. I believe his sons are continuing on with the business of buying and selling old motorcycles and related parts. However you will need to ask around for contact details.

But it could well take several years keeping an eye peeled to find the 'right' bike in the condition and price range you want.

Two of Reggie Pink’s machines are known to be extent. A 750cc converted for hill climb is currently undergoing restoration in New York. Another 500cc in more or less standard trim is in Pennsylvania, and has been for sale on again, off again for the last twenty years. Last time I heard it was not for sale and the owner was going to restore it.

Keep in mind most DT/SW engines will have knackered lower ends, which will cost a fair bit of money to put right. It is the nature of their design that you can not replace the crankpins or regrind the existing ones. (See link here for pictorial guide to the prewar OHV lower end.) Replacement is the only option, which will set you back another $4k if you can get the bits. New connecting rods are available, but the latest batch of new crankshafts is sold out. The next batch would require an advance order of some twenty units, which no one is keen to bankroll! An alternate design is under consideration that would make smaller batches feasible, but the reality is those would be several years away.

The rest of the engine and chassis is fairly conventional, so the usually inspections and tire kicking applies.

-Doug

Offline reggiepink

« Reply #2 on: 04 Jan 2008 at 17:12 »
Hey Doug thanks for the info, Do you know how to contact any of the ones you mentioned. The 750cc in PA or the 600cc in NY? I just posted some pictures of my grandfather racing in 1927. I have thousands more as well as sale records of every bike he sold. If anyone is looking for info on a US late 20s early 30s bike let me know. I will keep looking. Also check out our new dealer website reggiepink.com next week as we have alot of old pictures as well. Thanks for your help. Jay

Offline Dirt Track

« Reply #3 on: 04 Jan 2008 at 21:36 »
G'day all
Doug you mention a machine described as "one of Fay Taylour's 1929 DTs".
This bike was purchased by Mike Smith here in Australia some years ago now and the best descibtion at the time was "thought to have been rode by Fay Taylour"....nothing more concrete was offered in the way of definate ownership.
Of course having a name attached always enhances the value!
Howard.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 05 Jan 2008 at 03:27 »
Howard,

Yes, same bike. Apparently the provenance was 'enhanced' when it was shipped over to the States, as it was not being promoted as 'might have been...'   Caveat-emptor  :o 

Not sure what, if any, documentation was offered to back up the claim.

-Doug