Author Topic: Alloy wheel rims on post war models  (Read 4809 times)

Offline MRD

Alloy wheel rims on post war models
« on: 26 Nov 2007 at 18:12 »
Does any know if alloy wheel rims were ever an option on the Mark or Dragonfly series.
I have seen them on bikes that have been rebuilt, and I know that there were options of chrome rims compared to the standard painted rims. Most plus models I have seen have alloy rims but  were they an option from the factory  or on after market sales.
Also Alloy being a softer material than the conventional steel is it any good for pillion use or even side cars where the forces act in a different way.
Thanks   MRD 

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: Alloy wheel rims on post war models
« Reply #1 on: 27 Nov 2007 at 01:49 »
Quote from: MRD
Does any know if alloy wheel rims were ever an option on the Mark or Dragonfly series.

Not officially according to this 1950 list of options. But like anything if you waved cash under their nose I am sure they would have been happy to oblige! A lot of Comp. models are fitted with alloy rims, yet they are not listed as an option either; nor does the spec sheet show aluminum rims as the normal fitting.

On a Dragonfly options sheet, I see mention of chrome embellished wheel rims for an extra £2-2-0, but no mention of alloy.

-Doug

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: Alloy wheel rims on post war models
« Reply #2 on: 27 Nov 2007 at 07:45 »
According to our records, the alloy rims were listed as options on the 'Plus' models. The front rim (part no. 37817) was a WM1 - 21, and the rear (part no. 37809) was a WM2 - 19.
Special security bolts (part nos. 38005 & 38006) were alaso listed for use with these rims.
                                Regards,
                                              Eddie.